[Everyone] Space Physics Seminar, Friday June 6th: Space Weather Beyond Our Solar System (G. Hallinan, Caltech) **Meeting times available

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Mon Jun 2 10:07:05 PDT 2014

Dr. Hallinan is available to meet this Friday from 11-12pm, and 1-3pm, please contact Emmanuel to schedule. emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu.

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

(EPSS M288A, AOS M275A )

Gregg Hallinan

Caltech

Space Weather Beyond Our Solar System

Abstract:

Magnetic activity has played a key role in the formation and angular momentum evolution of our Sun and continues to power its radio and high energy output. The associated radiative output and magnetized plasma outflow (solar wind) dominates the local space environment of solar system planets, including Earth, particularly during flares and CMEs. Radio observations are a powerful trace of these phenomena, both through the radio bursts produced during flares and CMEs and the low frequency auroral radio emission produced by magnetized planets experiencing magnetic storms, the latter a key diagnostic for the presence and strength of planetary magnetic fields. I will talk about new experiments at Caltech's Owens Valley Radio Observatory (OVRO), dedicated to the detection of such space weather on nearby stellar and planetary systems. These include the Starburst program, dedicated to the detection and imaging of coronal mass ejections on nearby stars, and the Long Wavelength Array, which aims to detect the auroral radio emissions from nearby exoplanets. The latter is particularly innovative, consisting of 288 antennas, combined to image the entire viewable sky every second from 25-85 MHz. This facility recently saw first light and is currently aiming to provide the first measurement of magnetic fields on extrasolar planets.

Friday, June 6th, 2014

Room 6704 Geology

3:30 - 5:00 PM

Refreshments served after the seminar in Room 6850.

In-Charge
V. Angelopoulos

X.-Z. Zhou