[Everyone] O))) Solar Eclipse viewing tomorrow ~3pm on top of Geology Building

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Wed Oct 22 15:29:10 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

In case you hadn't already heard, there will be a ~30% coverage partial eclipse tomorrow afternoon. I will be on the roof of Geology with two solar filtered telescopes for safe viewing between 3-3:45pm. Take the east elevators to the 6th floor and turn left. The eclipse will peak at 3:27pm so you can drop by for a peek and then head to the colloquium. =)

As part of our THEMIS mission's Heliophysics public outreach, we have a 60mm Hydrogen-alpha narrowband solar telescope which will let us see the monstrous flaring sunspot AR2192 and detailed features like prominences and filaments (if the moon doesn't block them). I will bring my 80mm refractor and filter for viewing in white light as well, it should be a fun show!

For more info and cool movies about solar-terrestrial phenomena (aka Space Weather) please visit our group page and Youtube site, and there are cool photos and daily updates at spaceweather.com .

Cheers,

-Emmanuel
UCLA EPSS & IGPP