[Everyone] Fwd: last week's eclipse photos - white light and Hydrogen-alpha

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Mon Oct 27 14:19:09 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

In case you didn't make it outside to a viewing party, attached are some high quality images taken by our colleague Igor Ruderman at UC Berkeley. The yellow image is false color, but represents the visible spectrum through a very dark neutral density filter. The red image is a narrowband high contrast view, where all light is filtered out except one wavelength of light emitted by Hydrogen atoms in the sun's chromosphere . This presents a much more detailed image of the action, with prominences along the sun's edge and giant filaments of plasma suspended in magnetic fields above the surface.

More info on solar features here:
http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/feature1.shtml
http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/feature2.shtml

-Emmanuel

P.S. Don't worry if you missed this chance to see the sun, there will be other opportunities. Stay tuned for future exciting solar phenomena!