[IGPP Everyone] Space Physics Seminar, Friday Feb. 20th: Turbulent energy dissipation in the solar wind: What can kinetic simulations tell us? (F. Jenko, UCLA Physics/Astro)

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Tue Feb 17 08:50:16 PST 2015

Dr. Jenko is available to meet Friday at 2:30-3:30pm, or by request as he is at UCLA. Please contact me or email him directly to schedule: jenko at physics.ucla.edu

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

(EPSS M288A, AOS M275A )

Frank Jenko

UCLA Physics & Astronomy

Turbulent energy dissipation in the solar wind: What can kinetic simulations tell us?

Abstract:

An emerging Grand Challenge in space and astrophysics is to understand the energy dissipation processes in turbulent systems, from the solar wind to black hole accretion disks. Inspired by new exciting observations, new theoretical ideas, and new computational capabilities, more and more researchers draw their attention to this key problem. While the large-scale dynamics of turbulent plasmas is often well captured by magneto-hydrodynamics, small-scale dissipation processes like plasma heating or particle acceleration via turbulent reconnection call for a kinetic treatment. In this talk I will describe recent progress in the areas of gyrokinetic, hybrid, and fully kinetic theoretical studies of turbulent energy dissipation. One can expect that in the next years, we will see transformative changes in this exciting area of physics.

Friday, February 20th, 2015

Room 6704 Geology

3:30 - 5:00 PM

Refreshments served after the seminar in Room 6850.

In-Charge
V. Angelopoulos