[IGPP Everyone] Plasma Seminar Friday 2/27 12:30pm: Successful Letters in Physical Review Letters: An Editor's Perspective

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Wed Feb 25 10:54:41 PST 2015

Dear all,

We have a second plasma seminar this week on Friday, February 27th at
1PM in Room 4-330 of the Physics & Astronomy Building (PAB). Pizza is
at 12:30PM on the 4th floor of PAB. Our speaker is Dr. Serena Dalena,
Associate Editor of Physical Review Letters, and her title and abstract
are as follows:

"Successful Letters in Physical Review Letters: An Editor's Perspective"

Physical Review Letters publishes over 20,000 pages of scientific
content per year while maintaining its presence as the premier physics
journal. The purpose of this talk is to shed light into PRL editorial
process and policy and address the many questions frequently raised by
the thousands of active authors, referees and readers. How do the
editors determine which papers to publish in PRL? What how-tos should
you know as an author and a referee? Why should you submit your work to
us? How are journals in general and PRL in particular reorienting amid
increasing competition and other challenges? I plan to address these and
related issues during my presentation and the subsequent discussion.

http://www.pa.ucla.edu/sites/default/files/plasma_Dalena22715.pdf

~Seth

P.S. Don't forget to join us on Thursday for "A gyrokinetic study of
dissipation in plasma turbulence" by Dr. Daniel Told:
http://www.pa.ucla.edu/sites/default/files/plasma_Told22615.pdf