[IGPP Everyone] Berelson Geocheminar

John Wasson jtwasson at ucla.edu
Mon Mar 9 08:56:02 PDT 2015

Geocheminar

Slichter 3843

12 noon, 10 Mar 2015

Prof. Will Berelson

USC

Changes in thermocline oxygen concentration occurring over various space and
time scales

Changes in ocean oxygenation have occurred in the past and appear to be
occurring in the present. The thermocline divides the upper ocean where
sunlight and well mixed waters promote plant life from the dark deep ocean.
The upper water column is generally well equilibrated with the atmosphere,
and thus has a supply of oxygen that keeps these waters near saturation.
Particulate plant material decays quickly once sinking out of the upper
ocean and the microbially mediated respiration is particularly intense
within the thermocline, influencing the oxygen and nutrient content of these
subsurface waters.  I will discuss oxygen respiration on the scale of the NE
Pacific Ocean but also as it is occurring in the waters off Los Angeles.  I
will discuss time series results of 1-year, multi-years, the last 150 years
and the last 2000 years as we investigate changes in oxygen over various
time scales.