[IGPP Everyone] Planetary Science Seminar, Morgan O'Neill, Thursday 12-1 Slichter 2853

Abby Kavner akavner at ucla.edu
Wed Nov 18 07:20:57 PST 2015

Planetary Science Seminar
Thursday Nov 19th, 12-1pm Room Slichter 3853

Please let me (AK) know if you would like to meet with the speaker.

A theory for polar cyclones on giant planets
Morgan O’Neill, Weizmann Instutute

Abstract:

The poles of Saturn, Uranus and Neptune each have a 'hot spot' that is observable from Earth. Saturn, which has been observed in great detail by the orbiting Cassini mission, additionally exhibits Earth-sized hurricane-like cyclones on each pole. These massive cyclones have been present since they were first observed in 2004 and may be permanent. Our study proposes a mechanism for their creation: numerous small, moist convective thunderstorms, similar to those found embedded in Earth's hurricanes. These thunderstorms are ubiquitous features on Jupiter and Saturn. Hundreds of simulations suggest that these very small, short-lived storms can build and maintain a deep, rapid, large polar cyclone like we see on Saturn. Furthermore, an exploration of cyclone sensitivity to the Rossby deformation radius and total energy forcing suggests that Uranus and Neptune have transient polar cyclones, and Jupiter will not exhibit them. This last prediction will be tested for the first time next year, when the NASA Juno mission reaches Jupiter and finally observes the Jovian poles.