[IGPP Everyone] Space physics seminars: Winter quarter EPSS M288B, AOS M275B, Fridays 3:30pm Rm 6704

Vassilis Angelopoulos vassilis at ucla.edu
Mon Jan 4 01:48:58 PST 2016

Dear all

Winter Quarter 2016 is here. So we are getting started on another quarter of outstanding space physics seminars! They are held on Fridays at 3:30-4:30 in Room 6704 Geology with refreshments following in Room 6850. Below is the list of speakers (students remember to enroll in class EPSS M288B or AOS M275B). Journal Club reminders are also in order.

Our first seminar will be this coming Friday (January 8th) and will be given by our own Dr. Heli Hietala, and is titled: “Ion Heating in Mid-Magnetotail Reconnection Jets”.

Best regards

Vassilis Angelopoulos

---WINTER 2016, Space Physics Seminar Series--------------------------------------

Week    Date                                      Speaker                                Topic (TBC)

1              January 8, 2016                 Heli Hietala, UCLA            Ion Heating in Mid-Magnetotail Reconnection Jets

2              January 15, 2016               Xiangning Chu, UCLA      Substorm currents

3              January 22, 2016               San Lu, UCLA                      Flux ropes in the tail

4              January 29, 2016               Anton Artemyev, UCLA Particle acceleration at DFs

5              February 5, 2016               Heather Elliott, SwRI       New Horizons coast phase

6              February 12, 2016            Yuki Harada, UCB             Lunar exosphere

7              February 19, 2016            Chuck Swenson, USU     ASSP Rocket and MI coupling

8              February 26, 2016            David Malaspina, LASP   Van Allen recent findings

9              March 4, 2016                    Steve Schwartz, IC           Comet-solar wind interactions

10           March 11, 2016                  Yuri Shprits, MIT               Radiation Belt Modeling