[IGPP Everyone] TODAY! Space Physics Seminar Fri. 1/29, 3:30pm: Configuration of the Magnetotail Current Sheet (A. Artemyev, UCLA EPSS)

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri Jan 29 11:58:42 PST 2016

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

(EPSS M288A, AOS M275A )

Anton Artemyev

UCLA EPSS/IGPP

Configuration of the Magnetotail Current Sheet

My presentation is devoted to the magnetic field configuration and distributions of plasma thermal pressure in the magentotail current sheet. We use THEMIS spacecraft observations of the magnetotail current sheet within the downtail region 35RE>r>9R. We collect statistics of current sheets where the current density amplitude jy (in the GSM system) can be estimated owing to measurements of the flapping velocity of the current sheet vertical motion. The current sheet thickness LCS is restored using estimates of the current density amplitude and magnetic field measurements. Observed current sheets are very stretched with the typical scale of the inhomogeneity along x-axis much larger than LCS. The direct comparison of the tension force ~jyBz/c (with Bz is the magnetic field component) and the radial gradient of the plasma pressure demonstrates that this gradient cannot balance the magnetotail current sheet. We discuss other possible mechanisms responsible for the balancing of the magnetotail current sheet and compare obtained results with existing current sheet models.

Friday, January 29, 2016

Room 6704 Geology

3:30 - 5:00 PM

Refreshments served after the seminar in Room 6850.

In-Charge
V. Angelopoulos