[IGPP Everyone] another meteorite hunt

John Wasson jtwasson at ucla.edu
Tue May 3 17:03:54 PDT 2016

All

We plan another meteorite hunt in the area near where the stony
meteorite (still unnamed, a story for another time) was found
near a dry lake a couple of miles north of the village of North
Edwards. It is to occur on Saturday, 21 May.  We will leave from
the Chemistry loading dock at about 8 and return to UCLA at about
9 (after sharing a meal).

The impetus is that we need to search some land that the
Meteorite Collection now owns, a gift from the four Wacker
siblings.  On our first trip we searched the 31-acre parcel that
we have now been given; on this trip we will search a 15-acre
site ¼ mile south of that parcel that has not been previously
searched.

I also anticipate searching some virgin lands near the dry lake.
I am hoping that we have enough volunteers for two field parties.

I have booked a departmental van that holds at least 8.  Private
cars are allowed, and may be needed (I can take 4 persons).

It may be hot.  My apologies that it has gotten so near to
summer.

All grad students, postdocs, staff and faculty are invited.
Undergrads will need to talk to me individually if they want to
join the fun.

Please rsvp even if you can only make a tentative commitment at
this time.

John