[IGPP Everyone] Space Physics Seminar, Fri. 10/7 3:30pm: "Thermodynamic MHD Simulations of the Formation, Structure, and Evolution of Coronal Jets" (R. Lionello, Predictive Sciences, Inc.)

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Mon Oct 3 09:01:21 PDT 2016

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

(AOS M275A, EPSS M288A)

Thermodynamic MHD Simulations of the Formation, Structure, and Evolution of Coronal Jets

Roberto Lionello

Predictive Sciences Inc,

San Diego, CA

Transient, collimated plasma eruptions, so-called coronal (or X-ray) jets, are observed low in the corona in EUV and soft X-ray bands. They are thought to be triggered by reconnection between closed and open magnetic fields, although their formation mechanisms are not yet fully understood. However, coronal jets are also observed to extend to several solar radii, suggesting that they may provide a

still undetermined contribution to the solar wind.

We simulate coronal jets with our "thermodynamic MHD" model of the solar corona by driving the emergence of a magnetic flux rope into an open coronal magnetic field. We study the topological properties of the magnetic fields associated with jets, the impact of jets to the solar wind, and we follow the propagation of ejected magnetic structures into the inner heliosphere .

Friday, October 7 , 2016

Room 6704 Geology

3:30 - 5:00 PM

In Charge