[IGPP Everyone] TODAY: Plasma Seminar 10/14 1pm: "A stringent limit on the amplitude of Alfvénic perturbations in high-beta low-collisionality plasmas" (J. Squire, Caltech)

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri Oct 14 08:24:47 PDT 2016

Dear all,

Just a reminder: We have a plasma seminar TODAY, Friday, October 14th at
1PM in Room 4-330 of the Physics & Astronomy Building (PAB).  Coffee and
cookies will be available in the room at 12:45.  Our speaker is Dr.
Jonathan (Jono) Squire of Caltech, and his title and abstract are as
follows:

"A stringent limit on the amplitude of Alfvénic perturbations in
high-beta low-collisionality plasmas"

I will discuss and explore a stringent nonlinear limit on the amplitude
of shear-Alfvén waves in low-collisionality plasmas.
In particular, the result states that collisionless plasmas cannot
support linearly polarized shear-Alfvén fluctuations above the
critical amplitude $\delta B_{\perp}/B_{0} \sim \beta^{\,-1/2}$, where
$\beta$ is the ratio of thermal to magnetic pressure.
Above this cutoff, a developing fluctuation will generate a pressure
anisotropy that is
sufficient to destabilize itself through the parallel firehose
instability. This causes the wave
frequency to approach zero, interrupting the fluctuation before any
oscillation, and
the magnetic field lines relax into a sequence of angular zig-zag
structures. I will conclude
by discussing a variety of interesting implications that stem from this
restrictive amplitude maximum,
focusing in particular on our ongoing work on magnetized turbulence
and the solar wind around 1AU.

http://www.pa.ucla.edu/sites/default/files/plasma_Squire101416.pdf