[IGPP Everyone] [EPSS Everyone] Forged Phishing Emails

SALYARDS, STEPHEN salyards at epss.ucla.edu
Thu Aug 24 09:10:23 PDT 2017

Good morning,
   Well, we again have at least one email address in the department that is being used for mass distribution of phishing emails. Based on the last episode there may be a few more but we will see. The good news is that I think the computer has been identified and I have contacted the department's sysadmin with the relevant information so hopefully the distribution will stop shortly.

As with the last episode, this did not originate from our department but from another in the Division of Physical Sciences. In the previous case it was a laptop in the Life Sciences.

The bad news is that the way that the email protocol works there is little that can be done to prevent something like this from happening. If in the future you find yourself to be the victim of this forgery we are finding that the best thing to do is to get to myself, or Todd King if I am not around, a couple of the inevitable bounce messages you will receive back in the several thousand messages you will find in your mailbox. Those usually contain enough info for us to ID the suspect computer.

On the other side of the equation, you can keep your computer from being used for these attacks by being sure it is running a current and fully patched operating system and have an updated anti-virus/anti-malware program on your computer and that you scan your computer regularly with it, such as on a weekly basis. These are just part of the UCLA policy on what is necessary for your computer to connect to the network.

Thanks for your help and please let me know if you have additional questions,
Steve Salyards