[IGPP Everyone] Space Physics Seminar, Fri. 3/3 3:30pm: "Structure and Dynamics of the Earth’s Mid-Tail" (C.-P. Wang, UCLA AOS)

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Mon Feb 27 10:51:27 PST 2017

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR
DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Structure and Dynamics of the Earth’s Mid-Tail

Chih-Ping Wang
UCLA AOS

The Earth’s magnetotail plays an essential role in regulating energy and particle flows from the solar wind to the magnetosphere. New results from ARTEMIS observations and global simulations indicated that the structures and dynamics of the mid-tail (X ~40-100 RE) are quite different from the tail inside 30 RE. In this talk I will review recent progress in understanding the mid-tail. I will present investigations of mesoscale variations observed in two mid-tail regions: (1) hot electron enhancements in the magnetosheath and (2) plasma pressure enhancement in the mantle/lobe.

Friday, March 3, 2016

Room 6704 Geology

3:30 - 5:00 PM

In Charge