[IGPP Everyone] [EPSS Everyone] Important: staff transitions and other news

Brown, Carlene cbrown at epss.ucla.edu
Wed May 17 12:34:12 PDT 2017

Dear Everyone,

I want to let you know about some recent developments concerning staff support and other matters:

*         Building Manager - this is GOOD news: we have hired a new building manager, Eric Wessenauer, who will start on Tuesday, May 30. Eric comes to EPSS from off campus but has many years of UCLA experience working as a facilities coordinator for UCLA Extension and for the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center.

*         David Riley - is back! Also, very good news. David has been recalled part-time to help during the building manager transition, especially since Will Greer's time is increasingly devoted to his other, regular duties (contacts & grants-related). For now, David's hours will be:

o   Monday, Tuesday, 10:30am - 2:30pm

o   Wednesday, 7:00am - 2:00pm

*         Alma Zavala - is leaving the department, and this is NOT good news - for us, at least. Alma has accepted a position in Sociology as an Accounting and Payroll Coordinator, and her last working day in EPSS will be Friday, May 26. We are most sad to see her go. The open academic personnel coordinator position will be posted soon, and the College has provided an intern, Rachel Romero, to provide part-time, interim support. Rachel will begin next week and her hours will be:

o   Monday-Friday, 7:00am - 10:30am

*         Potable water - one last bit of good news: there is now filtered, potable hot and cold water in the 3806 kitchen! We have Jean-Luc to thank for negotiating the request, the dean's office for providing funding, and the Facilities AVC, Kelly Schmader, for making the repairs happen.

*         Purchasing Assistant - this search is ongoing, with more information to come. For the near future, please continue to send purchasing requests to Rick Fort, with Mike Rathjen as backup.

That's all for now.  Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Carlene

Carlene Brown
CAO, Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences
Phone: 310-825-9784
Fax: 310-825-2779