[IGPP Everyone] [EPSS Everyone] UCLA Conference calling using PGI discontinued

SALYARDS, STEPHEN salyards at epss.ucla.edu
Mon Nov 6 15:25:14 PST 2017

Good Afternoon,
   A number of you have today reported issues with conference calling using the UCLA IT Services provider PGI. As you have found out that contract was not renewed and the service was discontinued on November 1.

There are two options that IT Services now endorses. One of these is a service called Ready Talk. (www.readytalk.com<http://www.readytalk.com>) I mention this only for the sake of completeness.

The department has chosen to go through another service called Zoom. The big advantage is that as members of the EPSS Department we are already subscribed to Zoom through our CCLE participation. The bottom line is that our usage is covered elsewhere and there is no direct cost to you. (Unless you want large meetings (100+) or special features - which you most likely don't need.)

Zoom is a very flexible and generally easy service to use and provides not just the option of conference calling with audio only but also video meeting capability. If you want more info you can get to their pages through UCLA's Software Central at www.softwarecentral.ucla.edu<http://www.softwarecentral.ucla.edu>. In addition, we have put together some intro material to get you started. If you would like that please let me know.

So to summarize, there are two options available and after looking at the cost and features we would suggest that you check out Zoom as the preferred option. And since there is no cost to you for the basic service you can always test drive it to see if it works for you.

I have been intentionally brief here so please get back to myself or Rod with your questions, to get more information about Zoom, or to get a copy of the intro tutorial Rod put together.

Thanks
Steve Salyards