[IGPP Everyone] [EPSS Everyone] GEOCHEMINAR TODAY

Kevin McKeegan kmckeegan2008 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 08:48:32 PST 2017

*GEOCHEMINAR*

*Prof. Dustin Trail*

*Dept. of Earth & Environmental Sciences*

*University of Rochester*

*Silicon and oxygen isotopes in zircon*

We report the first detailed study of Si isotopes in zircon, coupled with
simultaneous detection of O isotope ratios, to better understand the
relationship between crustal weathering and recycling.  Current knowledge
about Si isotopes shows their potential to complement and enhance that
understanding because weathering of the crust typically results in a
residuum with lower δ30Si (where δ30Si is the deviation in ‰ of a sample’s
30Si/28Si ratio to that of a standard) when compared to ‘fresh’ igneous
material.  Samples explored include zircons from S-, I-, and A-type
Phanerozoic granitoids, and detrital zircons from the Jack Hills.  We also
explore the relationship between the δ30Si value of individual minerals and
the whole rock by quantifying high temperature Si isotope fractionations by
experiment.

*3853 Slichter (conference room)*

*Friday, November **17th **at 12:00 noon*

*all are welcome!*

--
Kevin D. McKeegan
Professor of Cosmochemistry & Geochemistry
mckeegan at epss.ucla.edu