[IGPP Everyone] [EPSS Everyone] Planetary Science seminar

Kevin McKeegan kmckeegan2008 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 14:12:58 PDT 2018

Dear EPSS,
    We have a great line-up for planetary science seminars this spring
quarter (see attached).  The talks are at noon on Thursday in the Slichter
conference room (3853) --- all are welcome!  The first seminar of the
quarter is by

Reny Hu of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

*  Reny Hu,   “Studying Planetary Atmospheres in an Exoplanet Era”*

The number of planets we know increased by two orders of magnitude in the
past

decade. Many of the planets discovered beyond our solar system, i.e.,
exoplanets, have

surprising traits, including having orbital periods of a mere few days,
being larger than

Earth and smaller than Neptune, and having atmospheric compositions where
data

suggest deviation from chemical equilibrium. These discoveries necessarily
reorient our

study of planetary atmospheres. I will discuss how observations of exoplanet

atmospheres help us better understand the physical and chemical processes
that control

planetary atmospheres as well as the evolution of planets. For example,
strong stellar

irradiation and intermediate size of some exoplanets enable the formation
of helium

atmospheres, resulting in distinctive remote sensing spectral features.
Observations of

Hubble and JWST thus provide the opportunity to study the atmospheric
evolution of

super-Earths and sub-Neptunes. Looking ahead, I will conclude by describing
pathways

forward to characterize cold planets at wide orbital separations and search
for potential

signs of habitability from these distant worlds.

--
Kevin D. McKeegan
Professor of Cosmochemistry & Geochemistry
mckeegan at epss.ucla.edu