[IGPP Everyone] [EPSS Everyone] Planetary Science seminar --- TODAY!

Kevin McKeegan kmckeegan2008 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 07:49:55 PDT 2018

**************************************************'*

PLANETARY SCIENCE SEMINAR

Thursday, April 12

noon in Slichter 3853

**************************************************'*

*Erin Leonard*

EPSS, UCLA

*“Europa at all scales: analyzing global to high-resolution images to
constrain surface evolution”*

The young (<100 Ma) surface of Jupiter’s icy satellite Europa raises the
key questions: What are the resurfacing mechanisms causing Europa to have a
young surface, and how have these processes evolved through time? To
address these questions we map and analyze (1) the USGS global image mosaic
of Europa and (2) nine high-resolution frames obtained by the Galileo Solid
State Imager (SSI) during the E12 flyby of Europa in Dec. 1997. From this
analysis we find that local-scale resurfacing mechanisms have transitioned
from distributed to discrete deformation, expressed by the transition in
the formation of the ridged plains to the formation of chaos and isolated
fractures. This finding is consistent with simultaneous ice-shell
thickening and cooling occurring as the ice-shell deformed. In this talk, I
will discuss the analysis and mapping of the global and high-resolution
images and propose a synthesized hypothesis for the cyclic deformation that
shapes Europa’s icy surface.

--
Kevin D. McKeegan
Professor of Cosmochemistry & Geochemistry
mckeegan at epss.ucla.edu