[IGPP Everyone] [EPSS Everyone] Planetary Science Seminar this week

Kevin McKeegan kmckeegan2008 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 10:08:04 PDT 2018

Kevin McKeegan <kmckeegan2008 at gmail.com>
Apr 12 (4 days ago)
to EPSS

**************************************************'*

PLANETARY SCIENCE SEMINAR

Thursday, April 19

noon in Slichter 3853

**************************************************'*

*Nigel Kelly*

Dept. of Geological Sciences

University of Colorado Boulder

*Using zircon (U-Th)/He thermochronometry and thermal history modeling to
constrain impact histories - an example from lunar impact melt breccia
14311*

Ongoing developments in our understanding of the behavior of
low-temperature chronometers, coupled with our ability to model this
behavior, has presented new opportunities to characterize the thermal
histories of samples from the Moon, Mars and elsewhere in the Solar System.
Using an example from lunar impact melt breccia 14311, I will demonstrate
the utility of zircon (U-Th)/He thermochronometry in sampling lower energy
impact events on the moon and other planetary bodies, and how thermal
history modeling may provide constraints on the temperatures experienced by
samples during impact events. When integrated with higher temperature
chronometers such as U-Pb in zircon, these techniques allow a longer and
more complete impact history to be teased from these complex rock samples.
The talk will cover the basics of the technique, future possibilities, and
limitations on application to non-terrestrial samples.

--
Kevin D. McKeegan
Professor of Cosmochemistry & Geochemistry
mckeegan at epss.ucla.edu