[IGPP Everyone] [EPSS Everyone] Space Physics Seminar, Fri. 1/26 3:30pm: "The Finite Cross-Tail Extent of Dipolarizing Processes in the Magnetotail" (P. Pritchett, UCLA P&A)

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Tue Jan 23 12:00:04 PST 2018

********SPECIAL REQUEST*********

Dr. Pritchett is retiring soon, so we would like to offer him a card and a gift this Friday to thank him and wish him well!
Please drop by Geology 2712 today after 3pm to sign the card (no later than Friday at 2pm), I will leave it on the counter in front of my desk.
If you can kindly contribute money towards a gift, please send me an email to arrange- we can also take a pledge and collect the money later. Thanks!

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR
DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

The Finite Cross-Tail Extent of Dipolarizing Processes in the Magnetotail

Philip Pritchett
UCLA Physics & Astronomy

While a permanent feature of the Earth’s magnetosphere, the magnetotail is highly dynamic. There are long periods in which the magnetic field is stretched to form a thinner current sheet at the center of the tail; in between there are more rapid processes in which the magnetic structure is made more dipolar by the formation of dipolarizing flux bundles, dipolarization fronts, and the onset of substorms. The most popular mechanism for explaining these dipolarizing processes is magnetic reconnection. However, since it is an inherently 2D (x,z) process, reconnection cannot account directly for the characteristic cross-tail size of a few R_E inferred for these dipolarizing processes. Large-scale 3D particle-in-cell simulations using a realistic magnetotail configuration including a magnetic dipole region are used to investigate the cross-tail extent of ballooning/interchange (BICI) modes and the behavior of reconnection in forced finite regions. The results suggest that a combination of BICI and reconnection may be required to explain the finite cross-tail observations.

Friday, January 26, 2018

Room 6704 Geology

3:30 - 5:00 PM

In Charge: