[IGPP Everyone] [EPSS Everyone] EPSS Email Migration to Office 365

SALYARDS, STEPHEN salyards at epss.ucla.edu
Tue Jun 5 11:24:47 PDT 2018

Good morning,
    We have discussed this email migration with many of your but let me take a few moments to get everyone on the same page with the upcoming change-over of EPSS email from the Enterprise Messaging Exchange Server to a Microsoft Office 365 server.

First, this relates to your accessing your email from the server that hosts your email of the form user at epss.ucla.edu<mailto:user at epss.ucla.edu>. If that email address forwards to another address at g.ucla.edu, gmail.com, or anything else, that email forward should just transfer over in the migration and you don't need to worry about anything on migration day.

If you do get your email from another server there are three reasons you might need to log onto your Office 365 account.

1.       You will be able to download our licensed Microsoft Office software directly from that account

2.       You may need to set up an out of office message from the web interface

3.       You might want to change your password

So here is the most essential information you need, and in fact applies to everyone with an EPSS account

1.       Your username is now of the form user at ad.ucla.edu<mailto:user at ad.ucla.edu> where "user" is your email user name (not necessarily your email address), which is usually the same as your UCLA Logon ID

2.       The web interface (Outlook Web App) can now be found at https://portal.office.com

3.       And you no longer change your password from within the Outlook Web App but need to go to https://sharepoint.em.ucla.edu/sites/changepassword

Finally, the change-over between the systems will happen the night of June 19, so the new settings will go into effect on June 20.

If all you need are the bare bones, you can probably go on to other email now. But a few more details that will be helpful to a lot of people.

Let me now add a couple of comments about why we are changing. The first is simple - this is the direction that Enterprise Messaging is moving. Eventually all EM accounts will be moved from their Exchange machines to Office 365 servers. There are several advantages to Office 365. Among these are the feature that your mail quota will go up by at least a factor of 10 to 50 GB. Also, it will come with the suite of Microsoft online applications the same way that the Bruin OnLine system now comes with the Google Apps. Another is the feature I mentioned above that will allow you to download your Microsoft Office desktop software from the web portal. Finally, there will no longer be the need in POP and IMAP to download email from the EM server and send using the BOL server. You can now use the same Office 365 credentials for both sending and receiving.

So, on the morning of June 20th, what do you need to know?

If you are using Outlook to get your email using the Exchange protocol there is only supposed to be one change - log in with your old password and the new user ID of user at ad.ucla.edu<mailto:user at ad.ucla.edu>. Everything should be back to normal.

If you are using a client to access your email here are the new settings:

For POP: Server - outlook.office365.com, Port 995, Encryption method - TLS

For IMAP: Server - outlook.office365.com, Port 993, Encryption method - TLS

For sending mail (SMTP): Server - smtp.office365.com, Port 587, Encryption method - STARTTLS

For more details and the link to the Knowledge Base you can start at the EM Office 365 Overview Page
https://www.it.ucla.edu/em-0365

So there is the essential information related to the email migration. As always, for questions, concerns, and help please contact Rod or myself.

Thanks, and we look forward to a new email system with a few more useful bells and whistles.
Steve Salyards