[IGPP Everyone] [EPSS Everyone] Planetary Science seminar this week

Kevin McKeegan kmckeegan2008 at gmail.com
Tue May 1 14:25:14 PDT 2018

**************************************************'*

*PLANETARY SCIENCE SEMINAR*

*Thursday, May 3*

*noon in Slichter 3853*

**************************************************'*

*Jonathan Fortney*

*Astronomy & Astrophysics Department*

*Earth & Planetary Sciences Department*

*University of California - Santa Cruz*

"*Current Science and Paths Forward for Exoplanet Atmospheres*"

The field of exoplanet atmospheres has advanced steadily over the past ~15
years due to the interplay of observations and modeling.  Although
typically hampered by telescope instrumentation that was never designed to
study exoplanet spectra, the broad outlines of the atmospheres of
Jupiter-class, Neptune-class, and sub-Neptune-class planets are starting to
come into focus.  I will touch on some recent highlights in the modeling of
hot Jupiters as a class and the well-studied prototype warm Neptune GJ
436b.  I'll close with a look towards JWST, and also theoretical
expectations for rocky planets in late 2030's by potential NASA telescopes
like LUVOIR/HabEx and the Origins Space Telescope (OST).

--
Kevin D. McKeegan
Professor of Cosmochemistry & Geochemistry
mckeegan at epss.ucla.edu