[IGPP Everyone] SEMINAR SERIES FALL 2018 BEGINS : SEPTEMBER 28, 2018!

MARCO VELLI mvelli at ucla.edu
Wed Sep 26 15:06:14 PDT 2018

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR
DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

PARKER SOLAR PROBE: THE PLASMA PHYSCS OF THE SOLAR CORONA AND INNER
HELIOSPHERE
Marco Velli
EPSS, UCLA

Parker Solar Probe (PSP) launched successfully on a Delta 4 heavy in the
early morning of August 12th, 2018, its mission to carry out the first in
situ exploration of the outer solar corona and inner Heliosphere. Direct
measurements of the plasma in the closest atmosphere of our star should
lead to a new understanding of the questions of coronal heating, solar wind
acceleration, and the generation, acceleration and propagation of solar en
ergetic particles. I will start from an introduction to our present
knowledge of the magnetized solar corona and wind before describing the PSP
scientific objectives, orbit, and instrument suites. Emphasis will be on
how PSP will confirm or falsify present models as well as the potential new
discoveries stemming from the first exploration of the space inside the
orbit of Mercury. Synergies with Solar Orbiter might lead us to accurately
understand the state of the solar wind all the way from the corona into
interplanetary space, allowing a new understanding of the basic dynamics of
active magnetized plasmas around stars and other astrophysical objects

Friday, September 28th, 2018

Room 6704 Geology

3:30 - 5:00 PM

In Charge