[IGPP Everyone] TOMORROW: Space Physics Seminar, Fri. 1/25, 3:30pm: "Exploring Earth's Ion Foreshock with MMS" (D.L. Turner, Aerospace Corp.)

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Thu Jan 24 13:22:56 PST 2019

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR
DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES
(AOS M275C, EPSS M288C)

Exploring Earth's Ion Foreshock with MMS

Drew Turner
Aerospace Corporation

Earth's magnetosphere is a cavity of space carved out of the supersonic solar wind, which forms a bow shock as it is slowed and deflected around the magnetospheric obstacle. Since Earth's bow shock is typically supercritical in nature, it accelerates and reflects a portion of the incident solar wind ions, resulting in the formation of the ion foreshock upstream of the bow shock. The foreshock consists of a combination of incident solar wind plasma plus the superthermal, counter-streaming ions reflected by the shock. In this talk, I'll quickly review our understanding of the ion foreshock and focus in on large-scale kinetic phenomena that can arise within it due to the interaction between the incident, discontinuous solar wind plasma and the superthermal foreshock plasma. In particular, I'll discuss shocklets, hot flow anomalies (HFAs), and foreshock bubbles (FBs) and new insights and perspectives we've been afforded on these transient ion foreshock phenomena by NASA's Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) mission and the state-of-the-art in global hybrid simulations.

Friday, January 25 , 2019
Room 6704 Geology
3:30 - 5:00 PM

In Charge: