[IGPP Everyone] NOW: Space Physics Seminar, Fri. 3/1, 3:30pm: "Upstream in the Lab: ion-resonant "ULF" waves in LAPD" (M. Weidl, UCLA Physics)

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri Mar 1 15:26:07 PST 2019

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR
DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES
(AOS M275C, EPSS M288C)

Upstream in the Lab: ion-resonant "ULF" waves in LAPD

Martin Weidl
UCLA Physics

For space physicists, a bow shock generates a beam of reflected ions, which excite ultra-low-frequency waves in the upstream plasma that flows into the shock. At the Large Plasma Device, our goal is to achieve the opposite: We use a dense beam of laser-ablated ions to excite ion-cyclotron waves and study the early stages of the formation of a parallel collisionless shock. These waves actually lie in the HF band (λ ~ decameter scale) for our magnetic field strength, which allows us to probe their spatial structure. After a short theory primer on how left- and right-hand polarized waves can form a shock front, I will analyze the saturation of the instabilities behind these waves in hybrid simulations and present LAPD measurements of the right-hand resonant instability and the current-density structure that it induces in the background plasma.

Friday, March 1 , 2019
Room 6704 Geology
3:30 - 5:00 PM

In Charge: