[IGPP Everyone] Space Physics Seminar, Fri. 3/8, 3:30pm: "Ion dynamics and the associated EMIC waves in the inner magnetosphere during Van Allen Probe Era" (C. Yue UCLA AOS)

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Thu Mar 7 13:46:21 PST 2019

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR
DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES
(AOS M275C, EPSS M288C)

Ion dynamics and the associated EMIC waves in the inner magnetosphere during Van Allen Probe Era

Chao Yue
UCLA Physics

Ion dynamics are controlled by the energy-dependent source, transport, energization and loss processes. Systematic changes in the ion dynamics are essential to understand the ring current variations in the inner magnetosphere. The Van Allen Probes mission, which orbits near the equatorial plane inside the geosynchronous orbit, has a wide energy coverage with high energy resolution and state-of-the-art ion composition instrumentation. It provides a great opportunity to investigate the plasma dynamics and the associated wave properties. In this talk, I will present some of our recent studies on the ion dynamics and the associated EMIC wave properties during geomagnetic quiet and active times. We have found that H+ with energies from 50 keV to several hundred keV is the dominant component of the symmetric ring current during both quiet and active times, while O+ ions with energies from 10 keV to 50 keV always make a non-negligible contribution to the ring current when sym-H < -60 nT. Besides, the EMIC waves excited by the proton anisotropy instability constrain the ion distributions to a marginally stable state. The properties of EMIC wave are organized into patterns in the parameter space of proton anisotropy and parallel proton beta, which reveals several important features regarding the wave excitation and propagation.

Friday, March 8 , 2019
Room 6704 Geology
3:30 - 5:00 PM

In Charge: