[IGPP Everyone] SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR, Friday November 1, 2019 - Geology 6704

Marjorie Sowmendran margie at igpp.ucla.edu
Mon Oct 28 10:55:03 PDT 2019

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Dmitri Vainchtein,
Drexel University

NON-ADIABATIC DYNAMICS: TRANSPORT, MIXING, AND RESONANCES IN PLASMA

Non-adiabatic dynamics: transport, mixing, and resonances in plasma Dmitri Vainchtein, Drexel University In many wave-particle systems, to describe the acceleration of charged particles one must step beyond the confinements of the quasi-linear theory. When the waves are strong enough, the nonlinear effects, such as nonlinear scattering on resonance and trapping into resonance, become prominent. In my talk I overview several problems that we studied recently, from the model problems that reveal interesting nuances of the resonance interactions to more realistic systems somewhat accurately describing configurations observed in the Earth magnetosphere.

Friday, November 1, 2019

Room 6704 Geology

3:30 - 5:00 PM

In Charge