[IGPP Everyone] SPACE SCIENCE SEMINAR - Spring Quarter - 3:30pm -Friday April 17, 2020 - New Zoom link

Marjorie Sowmendran margie at igpp.ucla.edu
Mon Apr 13 15:11:24 PDT 2020

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

USE THE CCLE ZOOM LINK PROVIDED BELOW

https://ccle.ucla.edu/mod/zoom/view.php?id=2939559

Date/Time: April 17, 2020/ 03:30 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

(AOS M275B, EPSS M288B)

A Statistical Examination of EMIC wave-driven electron pitch angle scattering signatures

Lydia Bingley

Department of Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences, UCLA

Abstract: Electromagnetic Ion Cyclotron (EMIC) waves may be a significant contributor to Earth’s outer radiation belt variability, due to their ability to pitch angle scatter relativistic electrons into the loss cone on short timescales. The extent to which this scattering mechanism can drive loss of core electron populations (<~ .5-2 MeV) is presently unclear, partly due to a historical lack of direct observations of relativistic electron scattering and the responsible EMIC wave activity. We present a new methodology for investigating pitch angle scattering signatures (“bite-outs”) using derived quantities from the co-located EMIC wave and local plasma conditions. By demonstrating the utility of directly comparing waves to relativistic electron pitch angle distributions, we motivate a statistical study of EMIC wave activity and resulting scattering signatures. A survey of EMIC wave events captured by the Van Allen Probes between the months of February and May 2017 is conducted. Using these events, we determine the energies and pitch angle ranges where relativistic electron scattering is likely to occur. Finally, we compare these expectations to electron flux measurements co-located with the wave activity.

Friday April 17, 2020

In-charge: C. T. Russell