[IGPP Everyone] Today - Last Seminar for the Quarter - SPACE PHYSICS and HERMES SCIENCE CENTER SEMINAR - Fall Quarter - Friday December 4th, 2020 - 3:30pm - UCLA Zoom

Marjorie Sowmendran margie at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri Dec 4 07:40:46 PST 2020

Don't miss the last Seminar for the Quarter

R E M I N D E R - T O D A Y

SPACE PHYSICS and HERMES SCIENCE CENTER SEMINAR

ZOOM LINK PROVIDED BELOW

https://ucla.zoom.us/j/93382900867?pwd=TlVQRmZyVEJFa0FCZWlRMU0yREtjUT09

Date/Time: December 4, 2020/ 03:30 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

SPACE PHYSICS and HERMES SCIENCE CENTER SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Data-driven discovery of reduced plasma physics models from fully-kinetic simulations

Prof. Paulo Alves, UCLA

At the core of some of the most important problems in plasma physics — from controlled nuclear fusion to the acceleration of cosmic rays — is the challenge to describe nonlinear, multi-scale plasma dynamics. The development of reduced plasma models that balance between accuracy and complexity is critical to advancing theoretical comprehension and enabling holistic computational descriptions of these problems. In this talk I will discuss how techniques from statistical and machine learning are offering new ways of inferring reduced plasma physics models from the increasingly abundant data of plasma dynamics produced by experiments, observations and simulations. In particular, I will focus on how sparse regression techniques can be used to infer interpretable plasma physics models (in the form of nonlinear partial differential equations) directly from the data of fully-kinetic particle-in-cell (PIC) simulations. I will demonstrate the potential of this approach by recovering the fundamental hierarchy of plasma physics models — from the Vlasov equation to magnetohydrodynamics — based solely on data of complex plasma dynamics captured by first-principles PIC simulations. I will conclude with some perspectives on how this data-driven methodology can offer a promising new route to accelerate the development of reduced theoretical models of complex nonlinear plasma phenomena and to design computationally efficient algorithms for multi-scale plasma simulations.

Friday, December 4, 2020

3:30 - 5:00 PM

In-Charge: Marco Velli