[IGPP Everyone] Today - SPACE SCIENCE SEMINAR - WINTERQUARTER -Geology 6704 - 3:30pm - Friday February 21, 2020

Marjorie Sowmendran margie at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri Feb 21 09:12:38 PST 2020

Reminder
Today

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

(AOS M275B, EPSS M288B)

Magnetotail Dipolarizations at Mercury: Lessons from a Miniature Magnetosphere

Ryan Dewey,

 University of Michigan

Abstract: Dipolarizations in Earth’s magnetotail play a major role in plasma and magnetic flux transport, particle heating and acceleration, and substorm current wedge formation. Mercury, whose magnetosphere closely resembles Earth’s topologically, also experiences dipolarizations despite Mercury’s shorter spatiotemporal scales and lack of an ionosphere. In light of these magnetospheric differences, we investigate the nature of dipolarizations at Mercury using MESSENGER spacecraft observations. We discuss how differences between the magnetospheres influence dipolarization dynamics and how the implications of our results may shape our understanding of the substorm process at terrestrial planets.

Friday, February 21, 2020

Room 6704 Geology

3:30 - 5:00 PM

In-charge: C. T. Russell