[IGPP Everyone] Reminder - Friday January 17, 2020 - SPACE SCIENCE SEMINAR - WINTER QUARTER - Geology 6704 - 3:30 pm

Marjorie Sowmendran margie at igpp.ucla.edu
Thu Jan 16 14:25:20 PST 2020

Reminder

Seminar on Friday January 17, 2020

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

(AOS M275B, EPSS M288B)

Probing Solar Chromospheric Temperatures and Dynamics with ALMA and IBIS

Kevin Reardon

National Solar Observatory, Boulder, CO

ABSTRACT

Even after decades of detailed study, many mysteries about the solar chromosphere remain. Making progress on these questions will be a key focus of solar physics in the coming years. In this talk, I will show recent work in this area combining imaging spectroscopy in the optical using the Interferometric Bidimensional Spectrometer (IBIS) and millimeter diagnostics from the Atacama Large Millimeter Array (ALMA). Using these instruments, we can probe the chromospheric temperature structure and dynamics on time scales of  tens of seconds and at spatial scales of a few 100 km. We find evidence that spectral-line parameters of H-alpha and Ca II are closely correlated with the ALMA brightness temperatures. I will discuss how this changes our understanding of chromospheric dynamics and the interpretation of the observed spectral intensities. Finally, I will provide an overview of advances we expect on these questions from the soon-to-be-operational DKI Solar Telescope (DKIST).

Friday, January 17, 2020

Room 6704 Geology

3:30 - 5:00 PM

In-Charge: C. T. Russell