[IGPP Everyone] SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR - Fall Quarter - Friday October 16, 2020 - 3:30pm - UCLA Zoom

Marjorie Sowmendran margie at igpp.ucla.edu
Mon Oct 12 11:08:40 PDT 2020

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

ZOOM LINK PROVIDED BELOW

https://ucla.zoom.us/j/93382900867?pwd=TlVQRmZyVEJFa0FCZWlRMU0yREtjUT09

Date/Time: October 16, 2020/ 03:30 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Linking Coronal Heating to Magnetic Structure and Complexity

Cooper Downs, Predictive Sciences Inc, San Diego

The Sun ’s magnetic field plays a pivotal role in the processes that heat the corona and accelerate the solar wind. Understanding this interplay is essential for testing our theories of coronal heating and for developing state-of-the-art models that describe the corona and inner heliosphere. In this talk, I will outline the coronal heating problem from the perspective of global coronal modeling, and the ways in which we can learn about heating by studying realistic large-scale magnetic geometries. This includes the challenges of developing a physics-based model for heating that remains tractable for large scale magnetohydrodynamic calculations, and the subtle ways in which heating and the magnetic field may feed back on one another. Through this lens I will discuss our recent effort to link complexity in the surface magnetic field, such as small-scale flux elements and parasitic polarities, to the heating and hydrodynamics of the corona. Using the largest coronal simulation we've ever attempted, we show how the fine-scale structure of the field inherently leads to plasma inhomogeneities extending from the base of the corona to the solar wind. This has important implications for our understanding of coronal heating and for time-dependent dynamics that are observed throughout the corona and inner heliosphere.

Friday, October 16, 2020

3:30 - 5:00 PM

In-Charge: Marco Velli