[IGPP Everyone] SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR - Fall Quarter - Friday October 2, 2020 - 3:30pm - UCLA Zoom

Marjorie Sowmendran margie at igpp.ucla.edu
Tue Sep 29 11:29:56 PDT 2020

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

ZOOM LINK PROVIDED BELOW

https://ucla.zoom.us/j/93382900867?pwd=TlVQRmZyVEJFa0FCZWlRMU0yREtjUT09

Date/Time: October 2, 2020/ 03:30 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

IRIS: heating of the solar chromosphere. Flux emergence, Ellerman Bombs and UV Bursts
Viggo Hansteen
Bay Area Environmental Research Institute, Lockheed Martin Solar and Astrophysics Laboratory, and the University of Oslo

The Interface Region Imaging Spectrograph (IRIS) was launched in 2013 and has been observing the Sun since then. The primary goal of IRIS explorer is to understand how the solar atmosphere is energized. The IRIS investigation combines advanced numerical modeling with a high resolution UV imaging spectrograph. IRIS observes UV spectra and images with high resolution in space (0.33-0.4 arcsec) and time (1-2s) focused on the chromosphere and transition region of the Sun, a complex interface region between the photosphere and corona. In this talk we will describe some of what has been observed by IRIS to date. We will then concentrate on one specific topic: the emergence of new flux in active regions and how this leads to energetic events called Ellerman Bombs and UV Bursts, we will discuss numerical models of flux emergence and compare these with IRIS diagnostics and comment on what this can tell us about the formation of the coronal magnetic field.

Friday, October 2, 2020

3:30 - 5:00 PM

In-Charge: Marco Velli