[IGPP Everyone] Space Physics Seminar - Spring Quarter - Fri. April 16 , 2021 - 3:30pm - Zoom

Marjorie Sowmendran margie at igpp.ucla.edu
Mon Apr 12 09:20:45 PDT 2021

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Join Zoom Meeting

https://ucla.zoom.us/j/96663537686?pwd=bXVLSVFrU2g5T0dsU2lMQTFtOW5yUT09

Meeting ID: 966 6353 7686; Passcode: 981246

Science in the Dark: Analyzing Cosmic Rays Observed by the Hubble Space Telescope

Nathan Miles
Department of Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences
University of California, Los Angeles

The Hubble Space Telescope (HST) has been operating in low earth orbit for over 30 years. In that time, through its millions of observations of solar system objects to the most distant galaxies, it has revolutionized our understanding of the universe – from dark energy to exoplanets. But is that all it can do? Using a data-driven approach, we churn through 24 years of HST data and generate statistics on over 1.2 billion cosmic rays using a custom written, open-source data analysis pipeline. In this talk, I will describe our team’s work to repurpose HST into a geophysical observatory by analyzing cosmic rays that pollute the spectacular HST images we are all accustomed to seeing…

Friday, April 16, 2021

3:30 - 5:00 PM

In-Charge: C. T. Russell