[IGPP Everyone] NOW: Space Physics Seminar - Fri. Feb. 5th - 3:30pm - The Multi-slit Solar Explorer (MUSE) (B. De Pontieu, Lockheed Martin)

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri Feb 5 15:29:03 PST 2021

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

ZOOM Link: https://ucla.zoom.us/j/94454128469?pwd=Qm9OSmZZekN5S0RoVTFITEs0N296QT09

Meeting ID: 944 5412 8469 Passcode: 263337

The Multi-slit Solar Explorer (MUSE)

Bart De Pontieu
Lockheed Martin Solar & Astrophysics Lab

The Multi-Slit Solar Explorer (MUSE) is a proposed MIDEX mission, currently in a phase A study, for studying the dynamics of the solar corona and transition region using both conventional and novel spectral imaging techniques, coupled to state-of-the-art numerical modeling. MUSE will obtain Extreme Ultraviolet (EUV) spectra and images with the highest resolution in space (1/3 arcsec) and time (0.5-4 s) ever achieved for the transition region and corona, along 37 slits and a large context field-of-view simultaneously. The science goals of MUSE are to understand the physical mechanisms responsible for energy release in the corona and for driving flares and coronal mass ejections. MUSE contains two instruments: an EUV spectrograph and an EUV context imager. The MUSE spectrograph employs a novel multi-slit design that enables a 100x improvement in spectral scanning rates, which will reveal crucial information about the dynamics of physical processes that are not observable with current instruments. I will provide an overview of recent advances in our understanding of the physics in the low corona, and discuss how these have driven the MUSE design and how MUSE will address major outstanding issues in solar physics by observing at the spatial and temporal scales on which advanced numerical models make distinguishing and testable predictions. I will discuss the MUSE design, how it has been optimized to minimize effects from overlapping spectra dispersed from different slits, and the compressed sensing techniques (or spectral disambiguation code) developed to allow accurate spectral analysis from the multi-slit observations of MUSE. I will also highlight the advanced numerical models that are a key aspect of the MUSE science investigation.

Friday, February 5, 2021

3:30 - 5:00 PM

In-Charge: Vassilis Angelopoulos