[IGPP Everyone] TODAY 4pm: Monday Nov 22, Slichter 3814 and Zoom, Kinetic-scale current sheets in the solar wind at 0.2 and 1 AU (Dr. Ivan Vasko, SSL/UCB)

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Mon Nov 22 11:30:50 PST 2021

Dear all,

Today Dr. Ivan Vasko will be giving a talk from 4-5pm on the 3 rd floor of Slichter, room 3814, the conference room next to the EPSS main office (title and abstract below). He is free to meet before or after, to make arrangements with Ivan please contact Emmanuel Masongsong. The Zoom link below will serve those who are on-line.

Join Zoom Meeting: https://ucla.zoom.us/j/92718373512?pwd=YzRVemhOUmRjNFMvdWpydWFCQmJhUT09

Time: Monday 04:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Meeting ID: 927 1837 3512

Passcode: 534060

Title : Kinetic-scale current sheets in the solar wind at 0.2 and 1 AU: properties, scale-invariant features and reconnection onset

Abstract : We present statistical analysis of kinetic-scale current sheets in the solar wind observed by Parker Solar Probe spacecraft at 0.2 AU and by Wind spacecraft at 1 AU. The collected current sheets have spatial scales from about 0.1 to 10 proton inertial lengths. We demonstrate that proton kinetic-scale current sheets at 0.2 and 1 AU have essentially identical properties. We present strong arguments (scale-invariance of several current sheet parameters) supporting the hypothesis that proton kinetic-scale current sheets are produced by local plasma turbulence. We also show that almost all current sheets satisfy the necessary condition for magnetic reconnection onset. We argue this condition is satisfied because of the 3D geometry of the current sheets, which, in turn, is dictated by their source that is local plasma turbulence. The implications of the presented results for understanding turbulence dissipation are discussed.