[IGPP Everyone] TOMORROW: Space Physics seminar - Fri. 4/8, 3:30 PM PDT - The Gas Giants as Unique Laboratories for Space Plasma Processes (A. Sulaiman, U. Iowa)

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Thu Apr 7 10:44:03 PDT 2022

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

ZOOM LINK PROVIDED BELOW

https://ucla.zoom.us/j/98070654630?pwd=aWdrSktueG9xWjU3cDZiQUhGRXV0UT09

The Gas Giants as Unique Laboratories for Space Plasma Processes

Ali Sulaiman
Univ. of Iowa
Jupiter and Saturn’s internal magnetic fields carve out a cavity in the interplanetary medium to form two of the largest magnetospheres in our solar system. Embedded within are geologically active moons continuously loading plasmas into their magnetospheres: Io’s volcanoes at Jupiter and Enceladus’ geysers at Saturn. These internally sourced plasmas interact with the surrounding planetary magnetic fields, giving rise to mechanisms that ultimately shape the magnetospheres’ structures and drive their dynamics. Furthermore, our evolving understanding of Saturn’s rings is revealing their influence in this context as well. In 2016, NASA’s Juno spacecraft undertook the first polar orbits of Jupiter, and in 2017, NASA/ESA’s Cassini spacecraft performed its final orbits, which were highly inclined and adjusted to pass through the gap between Saturn’s atmosphere and innermost ring - both providing unprecedented coverage and proximity to their planets. These highly inclined, proximal orbits enable the spacecraft to directly sample the ionospheres and traverse magnetic field lines threading the auroral regions, as well as those connecting the planets to their active moons and ring system (for Saturn). Such measurements are essential to establishing how these planetary systems operate on a global scale, as well as understanding the fundamentals of space plasma processes in a parameter space vastly different from the near-Earth and inner heliosphere environment. I will highlight recent observations that provide a new view of the gas giants and underline them, to our current understanding, as the most dynamic and diverse environments in our solar system.

Friday, April 8th, 2022

**In-person: Slichter Hall 3853**
3:30 - 4:30 PM
Social with refreshments afterwards, on Franz Patio

In-Charge: Vassilis Angelopoulos

Spring Space Physics Seminar schedule:
Apr 08 Ali Sulaiman, U Iowa
The Gas Giants as Unique Laboratories for Space Plasma Processes

Apr 15 Tibor Torok, PSI (REMOTE),
Understanding and Modeling Solar Eruptions: Where Do We Stand?

*THURSDAY* Apr 21 Enrico Camporeale, NOAA (REMOTE),
Data-driven discovery of Fokker-Planck equation for the Earth's radiation belts electrons using Physics-Informed Neural Networks

Apr 29 Artur Davoyan, UCLA Engineering
Light sailing for breakthrough space exploration

May 06 Frances Staples, UCLA AOS
Radiation Belt Dynamics from a Particle Perspective

May 12 Yangyang Shen, UCLA EPSS
Contribution of kinetic Alfvén waves to energetic electron scattering and precipitation from plasma sheet injections

May 20 Mike Hartinger, UCLA EPSS, SSI
Inter-Hemispheric Comparisons of Mesoscale Current Systems through Expanded Antarctic Instrument Networks

May 27 Man Hua, UCLA AOS
Radiation belt electron dynamics driven by VLF transmitter waves in near-Earth space

June 03 Adam Kellerman, UCLA AOS
Modeling Earth's Radiation Belt Electrons on Shorter Time Scales