[IGPP Everyone] TODAY: Space Physics seminar- *In-Person Slichter 3853* Friday 4/29, 3:30 PM PDT - Extreme solar sailing: Enabling breakthrough heliophysics and planetary science missions (A. Davoyan, UCLA MAE)

Emmanuel Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri Apr 29 11:43:30 PDT 2022

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

ZOOM LINK PROVIDED BELOW

https://ucla.zoom.us/j/98070654630?pwd=aWdrSktueG9xWjU3cDZiQUhGRXV0UT09

*In-person in Slichter 3853*

Extreme solar sailing: Enabling breakthrough heliophysics and planetary science missions

Artur Davoyan
UCLA Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Space exploration is a key to pushing the boundaries of space science, fundamental physics and probing the origins of life. Nonetheless, fundamental limitations of today’s spacecraft propulsion constrain the range of possible future missions. As a result, planets and celestial bodies beyond Saturn have been visited only once and only two probes have left the heliosphere. Exploration of the outer space necessitates new methods for faster, more frequent and lower cost missions. In this talk I will overview our ongoing studies of extreme solar sailing mission concepts. I will show that solar sails have the potential to transform space exploration, making it low cost, fast and ubiquitous. Specifically, I will discuss that by performing a close perihelion flyby at <15 solar radii cubesat class spacecraft equipped with solar sails may be slingshot to near arbitrary trajectories and destinations, including solar polar and halo orbits, as well as fast-exist hyperbolic trajectories. I will show that solar sails can reach >20 AU/year of cruise velocity, and potentially as high as 60 AU/year, which is more than 10 times faster than the record set by the Voyager 1 spacecraft. Such fast transit solar sail missions have a potential to open a new chapter in the exploration of the deep space and interstellar medium. Yet development of such solar sail missions faces many challenges, including materials, ultralight-weight architectures, deep space navigation and communications. I will briefly survey major limitations, and outline our ongoing efforts on development of extreme materials that could allow getting close to the Sun, including technology and science roadmaps.

Friday, April 29th, 2022
3:30 - 4:30 PM
In-person in Slichter 3853, with refreshments afterwards on Franz Patio

In-Charge: Vassilis Angelopoulos

Spring Space Physics Seminar schedule:
Apr 29 Artur Davoyan, UCLA Engineering
Light sailing for breakthrough space exploration

May 06 Frances Staples, UCLA AOS
Radiation Belt Dynamics from a Particle Perspective

May 12 Yangyang Shen, UCLA EPSS
Contribution of kinetic Alfvén waves to energetic electron scattering and precipitation from plasma sheet injections

May 20 Mike Hartinger, UCLA EPSS, SSI
Inter-Hemispheric Comparisons of Mesoscale Current Systems through Expanded Antarctic Instrument Networks

May 27 Man Hua, UCLA AOS
Radiation belt electron dynamics driven by VLF transmitter waves in near-Earth space

June 03 Adam Kellerman, UCLA AOS
Modeling Earth's Radiation Belt Electrons on Shorter Time Scales