[IGPP Everyone] TODAY: EPSS Space Physics seminar - Fri. Jan. 7, 2022 - 03:30 PM PST - ARTEMIS at 10 Years: Past Science Highlights and Future Goals (A.R. Poppe, UCB SSL)

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri Jan 7 11:33:42 PST 2022

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

ZOOM LINK PROVIDED BELOW

https://ucla.zoom.us/j/98070654630?pwd=aWdrSktueG9xWjU3cDZiQUhGRXV0UT09

ARTEMIS at 10 Years: Past Science Highlights and Future Goals

A. R. Poppe

UC Berkeley Space Sciences Lab

NASA’s THEMIS-ARTEMIS mission entered lunar orbit in mid-2011 and since then, has returned a treasure trove of data for studies of the lunar plasma environment. To date, the ARTEMIS mission has resulted in over 200 total publications, nearly 100 of which are directly related to the lunar plasma environment and/or the subsequent effects of the Moon on its surroundings. Now past its 10-year mark in lunar orbit, I look back and highlight results from the ARTEMIS mission, focusing on work related to the Moon’s interaction with ambient plasma. In particular, I will discuss ARTEMIS studies of:

(1) the lunar wake as an example for fundamental space-plasma processes throughout the solar system;
(2) the lunar neutral and ionized exosphere, which both responds to and perturbs the near-lunar space environment; and,
(3) electrostatic lunar surface charging, driven by a combination of solar wind and magnetospheric plasmas, as well as interplanetary dust.

ARTEMIS has made broad and fundamental contributions to our understanding of each of these areas, transforming our view of the Moon from a simple passive absorber to a host of rich and complex plasma processes that actively perturb the lunar environment. Finally, I will conclude by discussing on-going and future avenues of research with ARTEMIS, including upcoming synergies with the NASA Heliophysics Division’s HERMES payload to be hosted on the Lunar Gateway.

Friday, January 7, 2022

3:30 - 5:00 PM

In-Charge: Vassilis Angelopoulos