[IGPP Everyone] TODAY: **VIRTUAL ONLY** Space Physics seminar - Friday 6/3, 3:30 PM PDT - Modeling Earth's Radiation Belt Electrons on Shorter Time Scales (A. Kellerman, UCLA AOS)

Emmanuel Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri Jun 3 12:49:48 PDT 2022

******TODAY'S TALK IS VIRTUAL ONLY*******

https://ucla.zoom.us/j/98070654630?pwd=aWdrSktueG9xWjU3cDZiQUhGRXV0UT09

Due to unforeseen circumstances our speaker will not be in person, so we will hold the meeting on zoom only.
Thanks for your understanding.

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

ZOOM LINK PROVIDED BELOW

https://ucla.zoom.us/j/98070654630?pwd=aWdrSktueG9xWjU3cDZiQUhGRXV0UT09

Modeling Earth's Radiation Belt Electrons on Shorter Time Scales

Adam Kellerman
UCLA AOS
Electrons and ions from the solar wind may be captured by the Earth's magnetic field and transported to the region of near-Earth space known as the inner magnetosphere. Civilian and industrial reliance on space-borne assets and technology within this region is increasing at a very fast pace with $168.1B in space-related revenues in 2010, increasing to $271B USD in 2020. Therefore, understanding the variations in the near-Earth space environment that lead to hazardous space weather, and which may adversely affect systems and hardware in space, is critical to mitigate hazards, prevent loss, and minimize disruption in our society.

It has been long observed that key physical processes, such as plasma density, magnetic field, and wave power, which control the dynamics of Earth’s radiation belts, vary spatially and temporally on the order of hours or less. However, due to computational limitations it has been common to use only statistical estimates of these processes for quasi-linear diffusion coefficient computations, necessary for diffusive modeling of the radiation belt system. Hence, this variability has never been truly captured in our simulations, and our understanding of the importance of each physical process on shorter timescales has hence been cloaked by the inherent error and bias. In this presentation, the inclusion of these physical processes is explored to determine the efficacy of radiation belt simulations on shorter time scales.

Friday, June 3rd, 2022
3:30 - 4:30 PM

In-Charge: Vassilis Angelopoulos

Spring Space Physics Seminar schedule:

June 03 Adam Kellerman, UCLA AOS
Modeling Earth's Radiation Belt Electrons on Shorter Time Scales