[IGPP Everyone] TOMORROW: Space Physics seminar - Friday 5/20, 3:30 PM PDT - Inter-Hemispheric Comparisons of Mesoscale Current Systems through Expanded Antarctic Instrument Networks (M. Hartinger, SSI)

Emmanuel Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Thu May 19 16:08:16 PDT 2022

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

ZOOM LINK PROVIDED BELOW

https://ucla.zoom.us/j/98070654630?pwd=aWdrSktueG9xWjU3cDZiQUhGRXV0UT09

Inter-Hemispheric Comparisons of Mesoscale Current Systems through Expanded Antarctic Instrument Networks

Michael Hartinger
Space Science Institute
Mesoscale magnetosphere-ionosphere (MI) current systems play important roles in MI coupling and energy transfer throughout near-Earth space. Dense ground-based magnetometer networks are powerful tools for pinpointing the locations and intensities of MI currents that may elude sparse satellite measurements. However, spatial coverage gaps in the high-latitude Southern Hemisphere impede attempts to determine how North-South asymmetries in the solar wind/ion foreshock, magnetosphere, and ionosphere affect MI current dynamics. I’ll discuss how advances in autonomous instrumentation and international logistical coordination have recently led to expansions in magnetometer coverage in Antarctica, including the establishment of 2D networks on the East Antarctic Plateau that can probe mesoscales. I’ll show how these data have been used in conjunction with Northern Hemisphere networks to (1) reveal the 1D and 2D structure of mesoscale MI current systems related to dayside and nightside transients and (2) conduct natural experiments exploring how different North-South asymmetries in the coupled “Sun to Mud (Ice)” system affect surface magnetic field variations. Finally, I’ll discuss future research directions based on these results and the performance of our autonomous instrument platforms over the last 14 years.

Friday, May 20th, 2022

In-person in Slichter 3853, with refreshments afterwards on Franz Patio
3:30 - 4:30 PM

In-Charge: Vassilis Angelopoulos

Spring Space Physics Seminar schedule:

May 27 Man Hua, UCLA AOS
Radiation belt electron dynamics driven by VLF transmitter waves in near-Earth space

June 03 Adam Kellerman, UCLA AOS
Modeling Earth's Radiation Belt Electrons on Shorter Time Scales