[IGPP Everyone] Tomorrow: Space Physics seminar - Friday 10/14, 3:30 PM PDT - Multi-fluid MHD Modeling of Europa’s Plasma Interaction (C. D. K. Harris, NASA JPL)

Emmanuel Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 13 14:17:58 PDT 2022

The speaker still has a couple meeting slots open 2-3pm, please email Emmanuel to schedule: emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Friday, October 14th, 2022
3:30 - 4:30 PM

In-person in Slichter 3853, with refreshments afterwards on Franz Patio

Multi-fluid MHD Modeling of Europa’s Plasma Interaction

Camilla D. K. Harris
NASA JPL
Europa, one of Jupiter’s Galilean moons, orbits within Jupiter’s magnetosphere. Jupiter’s magnetospheric plasma and magnetic field interact with Europa’s atmosphere, ionosphere, surface, and subsurface ocean, causing strong variations in the magnetic fields and plasma near Europa. Due to these connections with the ocean and the surface, Europa’s space environment is a critical component in our understanding of the habitability of the moon. In this talk, I will cover two recent papers that investigate the variability of Europa’s magnetic and plasma environment using multi-fluid magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) simulations.

To characterize the variability of Europa’s plasma interaction caused by changes in the conditions of Jupiter’s magnetosphere, we have conducted a series of simulations using different upstream parameters that span the known range of external conditions at Europa (Harris et al., 2021). By separately tracking multiple ion fluids, we quantified the access of the Jovian magnetospheric plasma to Europa's surface and determined how that access is affected by changing magnetospheric conditions. We found that changes in the external conditions resulting from Jupiter’s tilted plasma sheet relative to Europa’s orbit lead to significant variations in the amount and spatial distribution of Jupiter’s magnetospheric plasma precipitating onto Europa’s surface. The total precipitation rate of the thermal magnetospheric ions increases with the density of the ambient plasma ranging between (1.8 – 26) x 1024 ions/s. Because sputtering of Europa’s icy surface by the thermal plasma is an important contributor to the generation of its atmosphere, the variations in the plasma precipitation as revealed by our modeling results provide important inputs for future models for Europa’s atmosphere.

Finally, we have investigated the effects of Europa’s atmosphere on its plasma interaction by conducting a parametric study in which the atmosphere model was systematically varied to quantitatively assess the role of atmosphere density and scale height in controlling Europa’s plasma interaction (Harris et al., 2022). We also show the magnetic field along trajectories representative of the locations observed by the recent Juno flyby and future Europa Clipper flybys, demonstrating that modest variations in the state of the atmosphere can cause discrepancies of 10s of nT. Modeling of Europa’s magnetic and plasma environment is a critical component of magnetic sounding experiments as well as in situ identification of potential water plumes. These results illustrate the many factors that must therefore be accounted for over the next decade to facilitate these experiments.

Harris, C. D. K., Jia, X., Slavin, J. A., Toth, G., Huang, Z., & Rubin, M. (2021). Multi-fluid MHD simulations of Europa's plasma interaction under different magnetospheric conditions. Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics, 126, e2020JA028888. https:// doi.org/10.1029/2020JA028888

Harris, C. D. K., Jia, X., & Slavin, J. A. (2022). Multi-fluid MHD Simulations of Europa’s Plasma Interaction: Effects of Variation in Europa’s Atmosphere. Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics, e2022JA030569. https:// doi.org/10.1029/2022JA030569

Zoom link: https://ucla.zoom.us/j/98070654630?pwd=aWdrSktueG9xWjU3cDZiQUhGRXV0UT09

In-Charge: Vassilis Angelopoulos

Fall Space Physics Seminar schedule:
October 14, 2022 - Camilla Harris, NASA JPL
Multi-fluid MHD Modeling of Europa’s Plasma Interaction

October 21, 2022 - Terry Liu, UCLA EPSS
Modeling the Formation and Expansion of Foreshock Transients

October 28, 2022 - Kent Tobiska, Space Envt. Technologies
Radiation hazards as a major space weather on commercial and suborbital aviation

November 4, 2022 - Ben Lynch, UCB SSL
Solar wind (TBC)

November 11, 2022 - Veterans Day - no seminar

November 18, 2022 - Mike Shumko, NASA/GSFC
The Association of Relativistic Electron Microbursts With the Aurora

November 25, 2022 - Thanksgiving - no seminar

December 2, 2022 - Christine Gabrielse-Lin, Aerospace Corp.
Estimating Precipitating Energy Flux, Average Energy, and Hall Auroral Conductance From THEMIS All-Sky-Imagers With Focus on Mesoscales