[IGPP Everyone] The Next Frontier for UCLA Astronomy with the James Webb Space Telescope, Tues. April 18, hybrid 5pm Lecture followed by reception

Emmanuel Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Wed Apr 5 12:17:15 PDT 2023

Tuesday, April 18

Tommaso Treu
Vice Chair for Astronomy & Astrophysics

invites you to

The Next Frontier for UCLA Astronomy
with the James Webb Space Telescope

Photo credit: NASA
Tuesday, April 18, 2023
5:00 p.m. PT Talk
Mani L. Bhaumik Centennial Collaboratory
4222C Young Hall, UCLA Campus

6:40 p.m. PT reception
Reception will take place outdoors in the Court of Science s

The launch and successful deployment of the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) at the end of December 2021 marked an incredible leap for humanity—and a transformational one for astronomy. JWST will enable extraordinary breakthroughs, from the study of planets around other stars to the search for the earliest stars and galaxies near cosmic dawn. UCLA astronomers have been among the very first approved users of JWST, able to access data as soon as the telescope officially went online. Our planned observations will target stars at the center of our Milky Way galaxy, nearby galaxies, stars and galaxies at the edge of the universe, and the cosmic expansion rate.

Join us to hear renowned astronomy professor Jean Turner and postdoctoral researchers Matt Hosek and Guido Roberts-Borsani discuss highlights of the amazing UCLA-led science coming our way thanks to JWST.
This event is the second in a two-part series focused on UCLA Astronomy's connection to JWST.

Self-parking available in Structure 2
Public transit to UCLA
	Matt Hosek, Postdoctoral Scholar
Star Formation at the Heart of the Milky Way

The Milky Way Galactic Center is the densest region of our galaxy, containing hundreds of millions of stars, large concentrations of gas, and a supermassive black hole. How do stars form in this extreme environment? We will use JWST to study young star clusters near the Galactic Center to explore how the environment impacts the properties of the star that form there.

Jean Turner, Distinguished Professor
Opening Pandora's Box: Discovering the Hidden Content of a Forming Super Star Cluster

One of the most spectacular nebulae in the local universe is in the dwarf galaxy, NGC5253. Gas heated by a young cluster containing a million stars provides a spectacle 1000 times more powerful than the Orion nebula. How stars can continue to be born within this tiny cluster, only 10 light years in size, is a mystery. Until JWST, it has been nearly impossible to "see" the central nebula and cluster but this is about to change.

Guido Roberts-Borsani, Postdoctoral Scholar
Characterizing Galaxies at Cosmic Dawn with JWST

When did the first stars and galaxies form? What were their properties? Did they render the universe transparent? JWST is already redefining the frontier of early galaxies and will now uncover the distances and properties of the earliest sources in the universe to unprecedented detail, determining when they formed and whether they transformed the universe into what we see today.

UCLA College
1309 Murphy Hall, PO Box 951413
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1413

If you no longer wish to receive emails from
the Division of Physical Sciences, you may
unsubscribe by clicking the link below.*

*Before you unsubscribe, please know by unsubscribing
you will no longer receive any communications from the Division of Physical Sciences —
including all departments, programs, institutes and centers within the division.

--
Benjamin Paul
Director of Communications