[IGPP Everyone] Spring '24 Space Physics Seminar and Journal Club (Students please enroll in both!)

vassilis@ucla.edu vassilis at g.ucla.edu
Thu Mar 28 08:58:36 PDT 2024

Dear all,

Apologies if you are receiving this email multiple times through various
lists.

We have arranged for a diverse group of speakers next quarter for the space
physics seminar series (listed below my signature - titles are generic for
now; check here
<https://www.epss.ucla.edu/seminars/space-physics-seminar/spring-2024/>  for
complete list and abstracts as/when they become available). Students, please
enroll in these two classes: (Space Physics seminars: EPSS M288C or AOS
M275C; JC: EPSS 293C). The times (as usual) are: Seminars: Fridays
3:30-4:30pm followed by a social mixer with refreshments at Franz Patio; JC:
Wednesdays as 12-1pm. Both will be at Slichter 3853. Enrollment means: (1)
attendance/participation and (2) an article presentation in JC.

For next quarter I'll also be running student half-hour presentations for
SPARTHRB, on Fridays 1-2pm (tentative time, TBC). Please let me know if
there are any class conflicts with that time and we will adjust. Signup (as
usual) for a slot at our first meeting (or email).

All will be starting next week. In-person active participation by all
students and researchers is strongly encouraged. We will count on Jasper
Laca, and as needed Emmanuel Masongsong cc-ed, to help with logistics (thank
you both in advance!).

Best wishes,

Vassilis

Speaker

Contact:

Topic

5-Apr

Chris Chaston

SSL/UCB

 <mailto:cchaston at berkeley.edu> cchaston at berkeley.edu

Field line resonances

12-Apr

James Sinclair

JPL

 <mailto:james.sinclair at jpl.nasa.gov> james.sinclair at jpl.nasa.gov

Jovian aurora and upper atmosphere

19-Apr

Hilke Schlichting

UCLA/EPSS

 <mailto:hilke at g.ucla.edu> hilke at g.ucla.edu

Exoplanet atmosphere interaction with stellar winds

26-Apr

Weijie Sun

SSL/UCB

 <mailto:weijiesun at berkeley.edu> weijiesun at berkeley.edu

Mercury's magnetosphere as revealed by MESSENGER

3-May

Mei-Ching Fok

GSFC

 <mailto:mei-ching.h.fok at nasa.gov> mei-ching.h.fok at nasa.gov

Inner magnetosphere: its coupling to the ionosphere and the magnetosphere

10-May

Robyn Millan

Dartmouth College

 <mailto:Robyn.Millan at dartmouth.edu> Robyn.Millan at dartmouth.edu

The CINEMA mission on energetic particle precipitation

17-May

Shannon Curry

Colorado U.

 <mailto:Shannon.Curry at colorado.edu> Shannon.Curry at colorado.edu

Mars' atmosphere/magnetosphere, mostly from MAVEN

24-May

Michael Liemohn

U. of Michigan

 <mailto:liemohn at umich.edu> liemohn at umich.edu

The MAAX mission: dual auroral imaging from two hemispheres

31-May

Shanshan Bao

Rice U.

 <mailto:sb39 at rice.edu> sb39 at rice.edu