[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 26, Number 26

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Sun Jul 10 09:28:32 PDT 2016

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 26, Number 26
Jul.10,2016

Table of Contents

1. Student Representative Report

2. AGU Fall Meeting Session SM022: Multiscale Processes in Earth’s near-tail and inner magnetosphere

3. AGU Fall Meeting Session SM008: Drivers and Impacts of Magnetosphere - Ionosphere - Thermosphere Coupling

4. JOB OPENING: Assistant Research Physicist - Van Allen Probes - Space Sciences Laboratory

1. Student Representative Report
From: Robert C. Allen, Anthony Saikin, and Suzanne Smith (robert.allen at swri.org)

This year 200 students attended the joint GEM-CEDAR Workshop in Santa Fe, NM, of which 71 students registered through GEM. In the spirit of the joint workshop, both GEM and CEDAR Student Representatives jointly hosted Student Day, in which we included traditions from both of our communities. This led to us changing from the traditional GEM Student Day format of having all talks given by students to having the morning be student-only, and the afternoon being open to both student and scientists alike. Additionally, in the afternoon, career scientists invited by both GEM and CEDAR gave most of the tutorials. The new format went over well, and the Student Representatives look forward to discussing this format with the GEM student community at the 2016 mini-GEM Student Town Hall.

For the second year, the GEM Student Representatives hosted a Career Panel during the Monday night student dinner. This year, the topic was “career pathways”. This panel was jointly held between GEM and CEDAR, with each community inviting two panelists each. The GEM Student Representatives would like to thank Elizabeth MacDonald and Katie Garcia-Sage for serving on the panel, as well as the CEDAR invited panelists Jonathan Snively and Chavvi Goenka.

For the first time, the GEM Student Representatives took on the responsibility of revamping, organizing, and implementing the GEM Student Poster Competition. The aim of the restructuring was to provide additional transparency and feedback to students. This was a key topic of conversation during the 2015 mini-GEM Student Town Hall meeting. The changes led to the creation of feedback forms for judges to use in scoring the students, which also had a comment section. These forms were then returned to the students after the workshop was over. This year, the top student was selected from each research area to be the winner. The winners were Thomas Kim (General Science Poster), Katie Raymer and Terry Liu (tied for Solar Wind – Magnetosphere Interactions Poster), Mojtaba Akhavan-Tafti (Magnetotail and Plasma Sheet Poster), Nadine Kalmoni (Magnetosphere – Ionosphere Coupling Poster), Mykhaylo Shumko (Inner Magnetosphere Poster), and John Haiducek (Global System Modeling Poster).
This year, Suzanne Smith was elected as the next Student Representative and will replace Robert C. Allen. Her term will run through the 2018 GEM workshop. Additionally, Anthony Saikin was elected to finish Lois Sarno-Smith’s term as Student Representative, with his term running through the 2017 GEM workshop. Outgoing Student Representative Robert C. Allen would like to thank the GEM community for giving him the opportunity to serve as Student Representative, as well as thank the GEM steering committee for always being student-focused and willing to receive student feedback.

2. AGU Fall Meeting Session SM022: Multiscale Processes in Earth’s near-tail and inner magnetosphere