[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 26, Number 20

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Sun Jun 5 22:29:17 PDT 2016

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 26, Number 20
Jun.05,2016

Table of Contents

1. Call for Nominations for GEM Steering Committee Positions

2. 2016 Joint GEM-CEDAR: "Transient Phenomena at the Magnetopause and Bow Shock and Their Ground Signatures" Focus Group Sessions

3. 2016 Joint GEM-CEDAR: New GEM Focus Group "ULF wave modeling, effects, and applications" (UMEA)

4. 2016 Joint GEM-CEDAR: Attend the CEDAR/GEM Exploring the Geospace Frontier: Quo Vadis? Workshop

5. Judges Needed for the GEM Student Poster Competition (Second Call)

6. GEM Student Poster Competition and Volunteering

7. Announcing MMS Data Analysis Software (MDAS)

8. SPEDAS 2.00 Release

1. Call for Nominations for GEM Steering Committee Positions
From: Mike Wiltberger and Jacob Bortnik  (jbortnik at atmos.ucla.edu)

It’s about two weeks before the GEM meeting will be held in Santa Fe and I’m sure everyone is putting the finishing touches on their talks.  As you know,  A key to the success of the GEM program is the dedicated service made by members of the steering committee.  These members help to set the program by selecting new focus groups and planning the workshops.  We have several opportunities for members of the GEM community to help run GEM. Specifically, there are two open positions that will be filled at this summer’s workshop, namely two regular steering committee members.

For more information on the duties of these positions, and the current steering committee membership, please see the main GEM website:

http://www-ssc.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/Main_Page

The selection of these new positions will occur at the steering committee meeting on Sunday night before the meeting begins.  In preparation for this, the steering committee would like to solicit nominations for these positions. Those that are nominated will be asked to submit a brief statement for the steering committee to consider in their deliberations.  Nominations will be accepted until the until June 15th, but for meaningful statements to be collected, it is highly encouraged to submit nominations as soon as possible. Self-nominations are allowed.

To submit a nomination, please send an email to the current steering committee chair and chair-elect, Mike Wiltberger (wiltbemj [at] ucar.edu) and Jacob Bortnik (jbortnik at atmos.ucla.edu)

From: Hui Zhang, Q.-G. Zong, Michael Ruohoniemi, David Murr  (hzhang14 at alaska.edu)

The Transient Phenomena at the Magnetopause and Bow Shock and Their Ground Signatures focus group will hold 3 sessions at the upcoming Workshop in Santa Fe, NM, June 19-24, 2016.

Session 1: Dayside magnetopause processes and transport (Joint with “Dayside Kinetic Processes” and “Magnetic Reconnection in the Magnetosphere” focus groups)
Time and Location:  Tuesday (6/21), PM1 - 1:30pm-3:30pm, Coronado + DeVargas Classroom

This session will encourage cross-focus group interaction and open ended discussion on the topics of magnetopause reconnection, flux-transfer events, Kelvin-Helmholtz instability, magnetopause waves, and other boundary layer processes. Talks on MMS-related studies and modeling with the emphasis on global magnetospheric aspects of reconnection are especially encouraged.  Please contact Yi-Hsin Liu <yi-hsin.liu at nasa.gov> by Friday, June 10 if you are interested in being part of the discussion.

Session 2: Magnetospheric signatures of dayside transients (Joint with “Dayside Kinetic Processes” and “ULF wave Modeling, Effects, and Applications” focus groups)
Time and Location:  Wednesday (6/22), PM1 - 1:30pm-3:30pm, Sweeney E/F/Theatre Combo

This session encourages cross-focus group interaction and open ended discussion on the topics of magnetospheric and ionospheric signatures of dayside transients.  This session welcome participation from communities interested in spacecraft observations, ground-based observations (all-sky camera, radar, magnetometer), and simulations. Please send the title of your presentation to Hui Zhang <hzhang14 at alaska.edu> by Friday, June 10 if you are interested in being part of the discussion.

Session 3: Kinetic and transient processes in the foreshock, bow shock, and magnetosheath (Joint with “Dayside Kinetic Processes focus group)
Time and Location:  Friday (6/24), PM2 - 4:00pm-6:00pm, O'Keefe+Milagro+Kearny Classroom

This session welcomes in particular the new MMS observations from these regions, recent modeling advances, and THOR mission. Please send the title of your presentation to Xochitl Blanco-Cano <xbc at geofisica.unam.mx> or Hui Zhang <hzhang14 at alaska.edu> by Friday, June 10 if you are interested in being part of the discussion.

Focus Group Coordinators:
Hui Zhang, University of Alaska Fairbanks (hzhang14 at alaska.edu)
Q.-G. Zong, University of Massachusetts Lowell (qgzong at gmail.com)
Michael Ruohoniemi, Virginia Polytechnic and State University (mikeruo at vt.edu)
David Murr, Augsburg College (murrdl at augsburg.edu)

3. 2016 Joint GEM-CEDAR: New GEM Focus Group "ULF wave modeling, effects, and applications" (UMEA)
From: Michael Hartinger, Kazue Takahashi, Brian Kress (mdhartin at vt.edu)

The GEM UMEA focus group starts this year. Our goal is to address basic science questions and modeling/observational challenges pertaining to Ultra Low Frequency (ULF) waves, working with other FG on areas of common interest. At this year’s meeting, we have four sessions planned:

Monday 04:00-06:00 PM - Introducing the UMEA FG:
We’ll present our goals and planned activities, and we’ll solicit community feedback on outstanding questions and additional activities (e.g., observational campaigns). We have several presentations planned and time for discussion and additional 1-slide presentations. Please come with your thoughts on outstanding questions and challenges in ULF wave research.

Wednesday 01:30-03:30 PM - Magnetospheric signatures of dayside transients:
Joint with “Dayside Kinetic Processes…” and “Transient Phenomena…” We solicit short presentations discussing the magnetospheric effects of dayside transients, e.g., how they excite ULF waves, using models and in situ/ground-based measurements. We also plan to discuss future activities between the Dayside Kinetics and UMEA focus groups. Please submit requests for talks by Friday, June 10.

Thursday, 04:00-06:00 PM - ULF wave modeling challenge:
Joint with “Modeling, Methods, and Validation.” We solicit presentations focused on using models to examine effects of near-Earth boundary conditions on ULF wave dynamics and discussion/development of methods to perform collaborative model-model and model-observation comparisons in ULF wave studies. We are interested in observations or index values derived from observations comparable with quantities from model results. Part of the session will focus on the ongoing ULF wave modeling challenge using global MHD simulations, but we solicit presentations using a range of different models.

Friday, 01:30-03:30 PM - ULF waves and nonlocal transport:
Joint with “Quantitative Assessment of Radiation Belt Modeling.” Since the two FGs have common interest in understanding ULF wave driven radiation belt transport, we call for short presentations that focus on ULF waves and address the role of ULF waves in the acceleration, transport, and loss of RB particles. Possible topics include ULF wave characterization, radial diffusion coefficients, diffusive versus non-diffusive transport, etc.

4. 2016 Joint GEM-CEDAR: Attend the CEDAR/GEM Exploring the Geospace Frontier: Quo Vadis? Workshop
From: Jeff Thayer, Dave Hysell, Mike Wiltberger, Joshua Semeter, Scott McIntosh (jeffrey.thayer at colorado.edu)

Dear CEDAR/GEM 2016 participants,

Please consider participating in the CEDAR/GEM workshop: Exploring the Geospace Frontier: Quo Vadis? Workshop, June 21, Tuesday 1:30-3:30pm, Sweeney E/F room.

Here, we will be convening a "Qui Vadis" workshop at the CEDAR/GEM meeting to continue discussions and receive input initiated at the  "Exploring the Geospace Frontier: Quo Vadis?" workshop held recently in Boulder on May 25-27. This CEDAR/GEM workshop takes advantage of the joint meeting to engage with those unable to attend the earlier Quo Vadis? Workshop. The overall goal of this effort is to help shape the direction of research in geospace at the NSF with an emphasis on crystalizing a research program at the NSF on space weather. The workshop will focus on the experimental infrastructure required for discovery research in the 21st century, with consideration for both basic and applied research driven by cutting edge observations of the Sun-Earth system. We will develop strategies that can integrate geospace research across outmoded disciplinary boundaries and better align with national priorities. This workshop focuses on gaining input and perspective from the CEDAR/GEM community by addressing the following three questions:
•       What major gaps in scientific understanding or engineering capability limits our ability to describe Sun-Earth connections?
•       Where is discovery science likely to occur?
•       How can we predict the occurrence of, and reaction to, space weather?
The goals of the workshop are ambitious, and we anticipate a wide and diverse group of presenters and participants. In order to promote a successful outcome, we have adopted a format involving brief individual
presentations interspersed with panel discussions, with speakers serving as panelists. Please see the  Workshop Charge with more details about the format and prepare accordingly:

https://www2.hao.ucar.edu/sites/default/files/users/sheryls/GeoSpace FrontierWorkshop Charge and Structure.pdf

If you would like to present in Santa Fe and did not already do so in Boulder, please contact one of the session conveners.

It is anticipated that a series of workshops in a multi-year effort will be carried out to help advance NSF geospace research, potentially culminating in an NSF/ MREFC proposal effort. The immediate goal of the workshop is the production of a report outlining key gaps in experimental infrastructure and a plan for subsequent workshops to specify instrumentation that can fill the gaps.

We look forward to seeing you at CEDAR/GEM.

Dave Hysell, Jeff Thayer, Josh Semeter, Mike Wiltberger, Scott McIntosh

5. Judges Needed for the GEM Student Poster Competition (Second Call)
From: Robert C. Allen, Lois K. Sarno-Smith, and Anthony Saikin (Robert.Allen at swri.edu)

We are looking for judges for this year’s GEM Student Poster Competition. If you are interested in helping out, please use the following form to sign up! http://goo.gl/forms/902Hk4chAI. Being a judge is a great way to help train our next generation of scientists, so please sign up!

As an added incentive, this year GEM is providing dinner to judges on Wednesday night, as well as refreshments during the Tuesday/Wednesday poster sessions!  If you have any questions about the poster judging this year, please email Robert C. Allen (robert.allen at swri.edu), Lois K Sarno-Smith (loisks at umich.edu), or Anthony Saikin (aax75 at wildcats.unh.edu).

6. GEM Student Poster Competition and Volunteering
From: Robert C. Allen, Lois K. Sarno-Smith, and Anthony Saikin (Robert.Allen at swri.edu)

Hey GEM students!

We have a few sign-up sheets for people to consider adding their names to.

GEM Student Poster Competition:
This year, we are revamping the GEM student poster competition. We are making the competition more feedback-oriented. So, if you sign up, you will receive feedback from the judges, allowing you to know what you did that was awesome and where you could use some improvement. There will also still be prizes for the winners. If you would like to take part in the competition, please add your name to the Google form by 6:00 PM MT on Sunday, June 19th: http://goo.gl/forms/Rk5ytVQpsQt6CVBD2

GEM Student Volunteer Program:
If you would like to volunteer to help out around GEM, such as taking photos, manning light switches, etc, then please add your name to this Google spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15NajTfMpcmoOmf9Qj_M2pzUR2Cw8fQt4ZNo8nM1_TzY/edit?usp=sharing
This way, we can pass your name to the GEM organizers and they can contact you with any requests for help.

We look forward to seeing you all at GEM! Thanks!

- Robert, Lois, and Anthony
GEM Student Reps

7. Announcing MMS Data Analysis Software (MDAS)
From: Eric Grimes, Barbara Giles, Vassilis Angelopoulos (egrimes at igpp.ucla.edu)

The SPEDAS project announces the beta release of Version 2.00 of the Space Physics Environment Data Analysis Software (SPEDAS), including version 1.00 of the MMS Data Analysis Software (MDAS) plugin.

This release includes command-line and GUI support for the following MMS instruments:
- Fast Plasma Investigation (FPI)
- Hot Plasma Composition Analyzer (HPCA)
- Energetic Particle Detectors (EIS and FEEPS)
- Fluxgate Magnetometer (FGM)
- Search Coil Magnetometer (SCM)
- Electric Field Double Probes (EDP)
- Electron Drift Instrument (EDI)
- Digital Signal Processor (DSP)
- Active Spacecraft Potential Control (ASPOC)
- Ephemeris and Coordinates (MEC)

In addition to the MMS mission, V2.00 of SPEDAS contains plugins for the THEMIS/ARTEMIS, GOES, POES, WIND, ERG, IUGONET, and BARREL missions, as well as data from numerous ground-based observatories.

Download
The release, along with instructions for installation, can be found on the web at:
http://spedas.org/wiki/index.php?title=Downloads_and_Installation

Examples
Command-line examples for new users can be found in the zip at:

projects/mms/examples/basic/

Examples showing advanced functionality of the plugin can be found in the zip at:

projects/mms/examples/advanced/

This release also includes ISEE3D - a tool for visualizing 3D distribution functions from FPI and HPCA, developed by the Institute for Space-Earth Environmental Research (ISEE), Nagoya University, Japan. Examples of using this tool can be found in the zip at:

projects/mms/examples/advanced/mms_isee_3d_crib_basic.pro

Documentation
The header of each procedure in the release contain documentation/information on using that procedure (including expected input, output, purpose and available keywords). Documentation can also be found on the web at the SPEDAS wiki:

http://spedas.org/wiki/index.php?title=MMS

Ask Questions
If you have questions or need support, we've created a SPEDAS forum and email list:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/spedas

Users can also email Eric Grimes directly (egrimes at igpp.ucla.edu) with questions, comments, bug reports, etc.

8. SPEDAS 2.00 Release
From: Vassilis Angelopoulos, Jim Lewis (jwl at ssl.berkeley.edu)

The SPEDAS development team announces the release of Version 2.00 of the
Space Physics Environment Data Analysis Software (SPEDAS).  This
is a beta release, in which basic command line functions have been
tested and verified operational, but the Graphical User Interface
and some of the plugin code has not been put through our full QA test
suite.  We expect to issue a fully tested final release sometime in Fall 2016.

This release introduces version 1.00 of the MMS plugin, with support
for loading, plotting, and processing data for all the MMS instruments.
Command-line examples for new users can be found in the zip file at
projects/mms/examples/basic/,  with some more advanced examples in
projects/mms/examples/advanced/ .

Another significant new feature is the ISEE3D tool for visualizing
3D particle distribution functions. ISEE3D was developed by the
Institute for Space-Earth Environmental Research (ISEE), Nagoya University,
Japan.  This tool can be used with data from the FPI and HPCA
instruments on MMS, with some examples of using this tool at:
projects/mms/examples/advanced/mms_isee_3d_crib_basic.pro

The THEMIS plugin has been upgraded to TDAS version 10, with many
bug fixes and upgrades to the THEMIS data plotting and analysis tools,
including support for the recently implemented ESA "low-energy"
configuration for studying cold electrons and ions.

The plugins for ERG, IUGONET, and BARREL have also been updated with
this release.

Getting SPEDAS

The zip file containing the SPEDAS and plugin source code can be
downloaded from the SPEDAS web site:

http://spedas.org/downloads/spedas_2_00_beta1.zip.

This is a source-code-only release, which requires an IDL license.
Pre-compiled, self-contained executable releases (which do not require
an IDL license) are not yet available, but will be released when
the beta testing period is over and the final version is released in
Fall 2016.

Much of our documentation is now available via the SPEDAS Wiki:
http://www.spedas.org/wiki

<gemeditor at igpp.ucla.edu>

URL of GEM Home Page:  http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki
Workshop Information:  http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/index.html