[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 27, Number 58

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Mon Dec 4 18:56:18 PST 2017

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 27, Number 58
Dec.04,2017

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. 2017 Mini-GEM Sessions: Magnetotail Dipolarization and Its Effects on the Inner Magnetosphere

2. 2017 Mini-GEM Session: MIT coupled system

3. Student Town Hall at Mini GEM

4. Los Alamos Space Weather Summer School, June 4 - July 27, 2018

5. AOGS 2018 Session "ST19: Causes and Consequences of Magnetospheric Particle Losses" – Call for Abstracts

6. EGU 2018 General Assembly Session ST2.5, Vienna, Austria, April 8-13 2018 -- First Call

1. 2017 Mini-GEM Sessions: Magnetotail Dipolarization and Its Effects on the Inner Magnetosphere
From: Drew Turner, Christine Gabrielse, Matina Gkioulidou, David Malaspina, and Slava Merkin (drew.lawson.turner at gmail.com)

The new FG - "Magnetotail dipolarization and its effects on the inner magnetosphere" - got off to an energetic start at the 2017 summer workshop, with a lively panel discussion on the nature of localized vs. global dipolarization events and many interesting contributed presentations relevant to the topic.   We look forward to continuing the community-led effort and planning for our 2018 activities at the upcoming mini-GEM workshop in New Orleans (Sunday, pre-AGU).

At this mini-GEM, we first have a joint-session with the “Testing Proposed Links between Mesoscale Auroral and Polar Cap Dynamics and Substorms”, which relies on ionospheric and ground-based data to inform our substorm dipolarization studies in determining how isolated substorms, storm-time substorms, and SMCs result in different types of response. (See earlier announcement.)

Directly following this session we will follow-up on the summer GEM discussions by briefly recapping the outcome from our summer sessions and following that by soliciting input from the community on our goals for our FG activities during 2018.  To facilitate this, we ask the community to share data and/or models that would aid us in understanding the relationship between flow burst dipolarization fronts and large-scale, substorm dipolarization. Given that the ionosphere is considered to play a pivotal role in connecting the two types of dipolarization, we particularly solicit viewgraphs that would facilitate discussion on how to best measure, test, and/or model the ionosphere’s relationship with dipolarization. Viewgraphs may be at most 2 PDF slides, as they are meant for conversation starters and not full-scale presentations. We hope these discussions will motivate work leading up to summer GEM 2018.

Please email Drew Turner (drew.lawson.turner at gmail.com) and Christine Gabrielse (cgabrielse at ucla.edu) with your topic by Thursday, December 7.

Drew, Christine, Matina, David, and Slava

2. 2017 Mini-GEM Session: MIT coupled system
From: Hyunju Connor, Binzheng Zhang, Gang Lu, and Haje Korth (hkconnor at alaska.edu)

Dear GEM and CEDAR scientists,

We invite you to our mini-GEM session titled “3D ionospheric electrodynamics and its impact on the magnetosphere - ionosphere - thermosphere (MIT) coupled system”. This session will be held between 15:30 - 17:00pm on December 10 (Sunday before the AGU meeting) at the Hilton Garden Inn - New Orleans Convention Center, 1001 S Peters St, New Orleans, LA70130.

We hope both GEM and CEDAR scientists to join our discussion on the MIT coupling topics and thus create synergy between the two communities for better understanding of a global MIT system. We have 8 speakers so far and here is the tentative schedule.

1. Evan Thomas: New statistical patterns of ionospheric convection derived from SuperDARN observations
2. Jennifer Carter: Two mechanisms for dayside polar cap auroral emissions under northward IMF
3. Alex Chartier: Puzzling Global (N+S) December Maximum of Polar Cap Patches Observed using Swarm
4. Qingyu Zou: Impacts of small scale electric field/particle precipitation on Joule heating: GITM simulations
5. Olga Verkhoglyadova: Semi-analytical estimation of energy deposition by Alfven waves into the ionosphere during storms
6. Robert Rankin: Suppression of the ionospheric feedback instability
7. Ryan McGranaghan: Characteristics of multi-scale field aligned currents and implications for the magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere system
8. Doga Ozturk: Response of the coupled M-I-T system to the March 17, 2015 solar wind dynamic pressure enhancement event, insights from numerical studies

You can also check the schedule at the following website:
http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/FG:_3D_Ionospheric_Electrodynamics_and_Its_Impact_on_the_Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere_Coupled_System#2017_Mini-GEM_Workshop

We are looking forward to your participation in our session.

Thank you very much,
Hyunju Connor, Binzheng Zhang, Gang Lu, and Haje Korth.

3. Student Town Hall at Mini GEM
From: Suzanne Smith, Ryan Dewey (suzanne.e.smith at nasa.gov)

Student Town Hall before Mini GEM

Your GEM student representatives will be holding a Student Town Hall before Mini GEM on Sunday, December 10 from 10:00 am - 12:00 pm. Come when you can, if you can.

We will be discussing the results of the Post GEM survey, and plans for GEM 2018.

Mini GEM starts at 12:00pm in the same location, Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center (1001 S Peters St, New Orleans, LA 70130). There is a registration process for Mini GEM (FREE, but they make name tags, hence the registration page): http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem-mini/#registration

If you are unable to attend but would like the conveners to convey a message to the audience on your behalf, please contact Suzanne Smith (suzanne.e.smith at nasa.gov) or Ryan Dewey (rmdewey at umich.edu).