[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 27, Number 33

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Wed Jul 19 08:44:21 PDT 2017

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 27, Number 33
Jul.19,2017

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. MEETING: Fundamental Physical Processes in Solar-Terrestrial Research and Their Relevance to Planetary Physics 2018, 7-13 January 2018, Kona, Hawaii - Abstract and Registration Open

2. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Systems Understanding of Energetic Particle Processes in Earth’s Inner Magnetosphere through Multi-Spacecraft Measurements (SM 019)

3. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Imaging the global dynamics of the solar wind - magnetosphere interaction (SM010)

4. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Toward a comprehensive understanding of the storm-time geospace (SM018)

5. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Assessment of Space Environment Models and Data: Validation Metrics, Frameworks, and Applications - Panel Format (SM002)

6. AGU Fall 2017 Session:  Geomagnetic Storms, Substorms, and Sub-Auroral Polarization Streams: Towards a Synthesis of Observations, Theory, and Modeling in Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere (M-I-T) Coupling (SA014)

7. AGU Fall 2017 Session:  Enabling Breakthrough Science With High-Bandwidth Satellite Communications (SH017)

From: Hui Zhang, Tony Lui, Qiugang Zong (hzhang14 at alaska.edu)

Abstract submission for the conference on Fundamental Physical Processes in Solar-Terrestrial Research and Their Relevance to Planetary Physics, is now open at https://goo.gl/forms/OfHxMDn3Eh8ikPCI2

Registration Fee: $450 (includes icebreaker on Sunday, lunches Monday-Friday, conference banquet on Thursday, excursion to Volcano Park)

Please register and/or purchase guest tickets at the following link:
https://epay.alaska.edu/C21563_ustores/web/store_cat.jsp?STOREID=7&CATID=209&SINGLESTORE=true

A conference on Fundamental Physical Processes in Solar-Terrestrial Research and Their Relevance to Planetary Physics will be held from 7 to 13 January 2018 in Kona, Hawaii.  The main theme of this conference is to focus on understanding the variability of space plasma phenomena, encompassing those related to the Sun and all planets within our solar system.

Variability of space plasma environment is the norm rather than the exception. The cause of this variability is still under active research. In the interplanetary medium, plasma parameters change continually, permeated by plasma waves, shocks, turbulence, co-rotating interaction regions, and coronal mass ejections that agitate the environment. Such disturbances in the solar wind can lead to geomagnetic storms, which do not seem to produce relativistic electrons in the radiation belt according to their intensity. The ionosphere has variability that impacts severely radio communications. Its outflows during geomagnetic active periods can modify dramatically the magnetospheric population and physical processes within.

In other planets, plasma sources from their moons play a similar role in influencing magnetospheric environment and processes much like that of the Earth's ionospheric plasma source. Information exchange on magnetospheric research between Earth and other planets can provide valuable insights into universal processes occurring throughout our solar system. Understanding and predicting the variability of space plasma phenomena requires knowledge of not only individual physical processes or magnetospheric phenomena but also the interplay between them in a system-wide approach.

More information on the conference is available at the following link:  http://hawaiiconference2018.gi.alaska.edu

Conveners:
Hui Zhang (hzhang14 at alaska.edu)
Tony Lui (tony.lui at jhuapl.edu)
Qiugang Zong (qgzong at pku.edu.cn)

From: Sasha Ukhorskiy (ukhorskiy at jhuapl.edu)

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite contributions to the AGU Fall 2017 Session: “Systems Understanding of Energetic Particle Processes in Earth’s Inner Magnetosphere through Multi-Spacecraft Measurements” (https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session24047).

Conveners: A. Y. Ukhorskiy, Y. Miyoshi, D. L. Turner, and A. Runov

Session ID#: 24047
Session Description:
During geomagnetic storms Earth’s ring current and radiation belts exhibit highly dynamic behavior; energetic particle intensities vary by orders of magnitude on the timescales from minutes to days. This dynamic variability is controlled by a shifting balance among multiple acceleration and loss mechanisms that are distributed in the near-Earth space and interact with particle motion at different spatial and temporal scales. With simultaneous observations from Van Allen Probes, Arase (ERG), GPS, GOES, LANL-GEO, THEMIS, Cluster, MMS, Geotail, POES, and CubeSats we now have an unprecedented array of spacecraft distributed from the outer magnetosphere down to the inner belt, sufficient to monitor and quantify the mechanisms that control the build up and subsequent variability of energetic particle intensities in the inner magnetosphere. We invite theoretical, modeling and data-analysis contributions that use multi-mission observations towards developing systems understanding of the ring current and radiation belts.

3. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Imaging the global dynamics of the solar wind - magnetosphere interaction (SM010)
From: Yaireska Collado-Vega  (Yaireska.M.ColladoVega at nasa.gov)

Dear all,

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract to the 2017 Fall AGU session on imaging techniques for the magnetosphere.  Below please find the description and the link to the session.

SM010:
Imaging the Global Dynamics of the Solar Wind - Magnetosphere Interaction

Session ID#: 25183
Session Description:
Recent years have seen a host of novel imaging techniques employed to define the state and dynamics of the global solar wind-magnetosphere interaction, and their ability to validate the predictions of global simulations for the solar wind’s interaction with various obstacles within the heliosphere including Venus, Mars, comets, and the Earth.  This session is devoted to reviewing the information that can be learned from past, present, and potential future heliophysics, planetary, and astrophysics missions, using global numerical simulations to define the expected images, and describing future imaging techniques. Presentations describing results from previous/current missions, simulations, techniques and ideas for future missions are welcome.

Primary Convener:
Yaireska M Collado-Vega, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD, United States
Conveners:
Harald U Frey, University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, United States
Dennis Lee Gallagher, NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, AL, United States
Simon Wing, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, United States

Cross-Listed:
• P - Planetary Sciences
• SH - SPA-Solar and Heliospheric Physics

4. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Toward a comprehensive understanding of the storm-time geospace (SM018)