[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 27, Number 22

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri Jun 2 11:57:49 PDT 2017

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 27, Number 22
Jun.02,2017

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. GEMstone Vol. 27 No. 2 -- Special Issue for Agency/Liaison Reports -- Is Available Online

2. Call for Students and Judges for the GEM Student Poster Competition (SPC)!

3. GEM Workshop 2017: Geospace Systems Science Focus Group Sessions

1. GEMstone Vol. 27 No. 2 -- Special Issue for Agency/Liaison Reports -- Is Available Online
From: Peter Chi, GEM Communications Coordinator (pchi at igpp.ucla.edu)

Instructed by the GEM Steering Committee, we now solicit reports from Agency Representatives/National Liaisons and publish these reports in the GEMstone Newsletter before every Summer Workshop. The purpose of publishing the special Agency/Liaison issue in GEMstone is to inform the GEM community about the relevant plans and activities taking place domestically and abroad, facilitating discussions of future collaboration at the upcoming Summer Workshop.

The GEMstone Newsletter, Vol. 27 No. 2, is the first GEMstone dedicated to Agency/Liaison reports. This special issue is attached with this e-mail and can be accessed online at

http://spc.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/GEMstone/GEMstone_Vol27_No2.pdf

The content includes:
- Notes from Program Director
- CEDAR Liaison Report
- NOAA Liaison Report
- AFRL Liaison Report
- USGS Liaison Report
- CCMC Liaison Report
- Australia Liaison Report
- ESA Liaison Report
- ISAS Liaison Report
- South Korea Liaison Report
- Taiwan Liaison Report

Past issues of the GEMstone Newsletter can be found online at http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/Newsletters.

2. Call for Students and Judges for the GEM Student Poster Competition (SPC)!
From: Anthony Saikin, Suzanne Smith (aax75 at wildcats.unh.edu)

The goal of the SPC is to practice and hone presentation and public speaking skills regarding our respective research. Ballots are designed to be feedback based, with comments offering constructive criticism. We strongly encourage everyone to enter. The poster competition (like AGU) is optional. The deadline for signing up is June 18, 11:59 PM (GEM Student Day).

Likewise, we need volunteers to judge and provide feedback to students. If you are interested in judging, please use the link below. Volunteer judges are essential to these awards, and your time dedicated to judging would be very much appreciated by us, The GEM Student Reps, and the GEM student community. Thank you.

To sign up for the poster competition as a JUDGE or STUDENT, please use the following form:
http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/poster_contest.html

If you submitted to a previous form, we have your submission.

The GEM Student Reps
Anthony Saikin and Suzanne Smith

3. GEM Workshop 2017: Geospace Systems Science Focus Group Sessions
From: Joe Borovsky (jborovsky at spacescience.org)

The Geospace Systems Science Focus Group will hold two sessions. Monday Morning June 19 there will be a session “Progress in Magnetospheric Systems Science” and Tuesday Morning June 20 there will be a session “Periodic Events in the Earth’s Magnetosphere". Please contact Joe Borovsky with presentations/discussions you would like to make in those sessions.